unitink72

Well Known Member
The PlaneAround 3rd latch instructions has you measure 18 3/8 from the front corner of the door to place the centerline of the latch gearbox. In a brilliant moment I measured from the rear and made the cutout. So it ended up being a bit under 2 inches forward of the correct placement.

I know this will impact pushrod length. Not too concerned about that.

Doubting there are any structural or functional issues, but ears open for any comments on that.

What I'm mostly worried about is, isn't this area where your elbow goes? Am I going to have the cam poking my arm when trying to rest it there on a long flight? If it is, that would cross the threshold of being worth it to fix for me.

Attachments

• 20230706_152857.jpg
    20230706_152857.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 73
I don't know about the elbow issue, but I do know from experience that it will impact the short connecting "rods" that run between the gear box and the open/close handle. Those rods need to be exactly the right length to work properly.

I ended up having Plane Around mill new rods to the length I needed, but it wasn't cheap.

Good Luck

Fiberglass is cheap... it's a hard pill to swallow at this moment, but I'd cut the gearbox out, move it and then glass back in the hole.

I absolutely do not like working with fiberglass, but the nice thing about it is you can always redo it.

It's at these moments I apply my 5-year rule: consider five years from now... will the extra work to fix it now matter? Will you be happy with it the way it is?

It is much lower than your elbow will hit. (At least never hit mine). Believe with seats and cushions in it is really much lower than elbow.

My concern is that the latch serves to pull the lower door in towards the frame equally front and rear. Relocating the position of the cam may hinder the correct operation of the center cam and make it difficult to adjust the latch pins.
You might want to call Sean @ Plane Around and talk to him about it.

Patch the holes and move the cam latch where it should be. Problem solved.