prkaye

Well Known Member
I know there have been many, many threads on Firewall insulation, and I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I haven't seen any posts specifically about this product:
http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/dampingpanels.php

The price is right, looks convenient to install (self-adhesive) and is fire resistant. I'm thinking of applying to cabin side of firewall to reduce noise and heat, and I definitely want anything I put on the firewall to be fire-resistant.

Any experience or opinions on this product?

I have used this product on several RVs and like it and recommend it. Of course there are other products available as well with many opinions as to what works best. Larry

Yes, but theres a difference between self-extinguishing and a material that will out gas and smoke when exposed to heat. The wrong material in the cockpit when heated can make visibility and breathing quite impossible without ever igniting.

3M says it's acoustic and say it's self-extinguishing, but don't seem to quote a temperature range.

An FAR 25 airliner cabin wall insulation. Yep, it will self-extinguish within 15 seconds after you remove the heat source, which for the referenced "vertical method" is "a Bunsen or Tirrill burner with a nominal 3/8-inch I.D. tube adjusted to give a flame of 1-1/2 inches in height."

Put another way, it won't burn more than 15 seconds after you slap the snot out of Little Johnny and take away his daddy's cigarette lighter.

Firewall insulation it is not.

Here's the appropriate regs:

§ 23.1191 Firewalls.

(f) Compliance with the criteria for fireproof materials or components must be shown as follows:

(1) The flame to which the materials or components are subjected must be 2,000 ±150 °F.

(2) Sheet materials approximately 10 inches square must be subjected to the flame from a suitable burner.

(3) The flame must be large enough to maintain the required test temperature over an area approximately five inches square.

(g) Firewall materials and fittings must resist flame penetration for at least 15 minutes.

§ 23.1182 Nacelle areas behind firewalls.

Components, lines, and fittings, except those subject to the provisions of §23.1351(e), located behind the engine-compartment firewall must be constructed of such materials and located at such distances from the firewall that they will not suffer damage sufficient to endanger the airplane if a portion of the engine side of the firewall is subjected to a flame temperature of not less than 2000 °F for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
An FAR 25 airliner cabin wall insulation. Yep, it will self-extinguish within 15 seconds after you remove the heat source, which for the referenced "vertical method" is "a Bunsen or Tirrill burner with a nominal 3/8-inch I.D. tube adjusted to give a flame of 1-1/2 inches in height."

Put another way, it won't burn more than 15 seconds after you slap the snot out of Little Johnny and take away his daddy's cigarette lighter.

Thanks Dan, I thought that was the conclusion...:)

OK. I won't be using that then. Does Aircraft Spruce have a good (safe) firewall insulation product? I'm starting to think more seriously about fire safety.