azrv6

Well Known Member
Anyone had problems with the 3M blue vinyl tape leaving a residue?

This is the third airplane I've used the 3M blue vinyl fine line tape on and up until today I've never had a problem. I ran out of tape earlier in the week, went to the local PPG supplier and bought two more rolls of 1/4". This morning, laying out stripes, while repositioning the tape to get the desired lines, I noticed it was leaving a residue. The residue is not that easy to clean off either. Both rolls are doing the same thing.

I'm wondering if it is really old stock, maybe it has been sitting on the shelf a long time.

Trying to figure out the next step. If I buy more of the blue vinyl tape, I'll order online in the hope that I'll get fresh stock (no guarantee there though). Or, I can try something else. I can get the 3M Scotch 218 green fine line tape locally. Anyone used that before with success?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I was using the 3M 1/4in Blue Fine Line tape today. After laying a strip about 18 ft, I ended up pulling it up and laying out a different paint line. No issues for me. I purchased the tape last week, and I know the supplier I buy from (PPG) turns over the stock fairly regularly.

The painted surface I was dealing with was PPG Concept, and was sprayed one week ago. Could it be that your surface was not dry-cured? Temperature here was in the 60's F.

You didn't mention what you are using to clean off the tape residue. Goo Gone works very well and does not damage paint or plexiglass.