vlittle

Well Known Member
Now that Garmin has released the GMA350 audio panel, they have coined the phrase '3D Sound'.

What it means is that various NAV/Com or alarm audio sources can be placed spatially somewhere between the left and right channels of a stereo source. They claim that this allows one to hear simultaneous multiple audio sources more distinctly.

Interesting.

Dynon has a stereo output on the SkyView systems and it may be possible for them to do the same thing. It would be cool to be able to define an alarm as left, right or somewhere in between. With clever phasing, it's possible to actually put the sound in front, behind, up or down as well.

Would it not be cool to have traffic call outs with virtual positioning? Modulate the volume for closer traffic and position the sound in space corresponding to the traffic location(s).

Now it's in the public domain with this post, so no one can patent it!

V

Military contractors have been doing that

There are at least two military contractors that do just that. They separate the rados into different locations. For example they put one on the left, one on the right and one directly above you. This makes it way easier to understand multiple transmissions. They also use it with a missile warning system so the warning sounds like it is coming from the incoming missile. It is amazingly accurate. Also, your wingmen's radio calls are along their azimuth. Cool stuff.

There are at least two military contractors that do just that. They separate the rados into different locations. For example they put one on the left, one on the right and one directly above you. This makes it way easier to understand multiple transmissions. They also use it with a missile warning system so the warning sounds like it is coming from the incoming missile. It is amazingly accurate. Also, your wingmen's radio calls are along their azimuth. Cool stuff.

Very cool. In the interest of overkill in our small aircraft, I want one! How about one that sits (virtually) on your right shoulder saying "go ahead scud run, nothing will go wrong" and another one on your left shoulder saying "turn around, think of your wife and kids".

V

If its like the 3D sound in computer games, it might take a couple of minutes to get used to it, but once it does, the effect is really amazing!

How about one that sits (virtually) on your right shoulder saying "go ahead scud run, nothing will go wrong" and another one on your left shoulder saying "turn around, think of your wife and kids".
I'm thinking left and right fuel tank empty warning sounds... A toilet flushing over your left shoulder means switch tanks?

Wish List

I agree that this is serious overkill for our little Experimental fun airplanes. But, I may have to consider one for the new 7:rolleyes:

The other thing that is overkill in my opinion, is the size of some of the EFIS screens. I flew in a 7 with a 10"+ screen. I almost felt like I was sitting in the front row at the movies. Cool features. I've opted for AFS 8.5" screens for the 7. Perfect visual distance, clarity and scan.

Now, I wish there was an App so we could change the voices. I love to have Chris Rock ranting about low fuel!!! That would be fun. Shania Twain for all other announcements:D