I just purchased a 396 to put in my air gizmoz panel dock. I made a cord from the flightcom 403's aux input to the headphone jack on the 396 and there is constant static in the headphones. Did I do wrong? What is right?

Make sure you have the correct output type set up in the 396 menu. There are two different impedance settings.

The 396 has a DC coupled output which causes a hum when piped directly to the intercom. My solution was to pick up a cheap stereo isolator from radio shack (I think that is where I got it) which is installed inline with the stereo plug. The 496 fixed this with an isolated output and I gave the isolator away when I upgraded.

The 396 has a DC coupled output which causes a hum when piped directly to the intercom. My solution was to pick up a cheap stereo isolator from radio shack (I think that is where I got it) which is installed inline with the stereo plug. The 496 fixed this with an isolated output and I gave the isolator away when I upgraded.

And that isolator is alive and well in "Mikey" today Walt! I used it in the Val until I upgraded to the 696, which is also internally isolated, so the "little black box" went to the RV-6. Works great - thanks again!