ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I have a Garmin 396. It does not list private airports. I have the long and lat for a private airport I want to fly to.

I can't find it in the Garmin manual. Is there a way to create an airport or waypoint using the long lat in the 396?

Just create a waypoint, enter the waypoint edit page, and edit the lat long. It's page 79 of the 496 manual.

396.jpg

Thanks guys. How silly of me to not look at the automotive section of the manual to learn how to enter an aviation waypoint.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There's more.

Chris. I have set both of my 496's up to show both private and public airports, and I believe that you can do the same with your 396. You can also specify hard/soft runways and the minimum length you want to see.

I did this and it added many options in the event of a mechanical problem and I need to land quickly.

Press 'nearest', then when the page opens, press 'menu' then select "Set airport criteria" and follow the prompts for "hard" soft and runway length.

Best,

From what I have read, the 496 database shows private airports. The only private airports that are in the 396 database are those that are charted by Jeppesen, which usually means only private airports with instrument approaches.

Does anyone know if a waypoint created in the automotive mode, which appears to be the only mode where a waypoint can be created using with coordinates, will show as a selection in the aviation mode?

My 396 is at the airport so I can't check that out now...

I have set both of my 496's up to show both private and public airports, and I believe that you can do the same with your 396.

Hi Pierre,

One of the differences between the 396 and 496 is that the 496's navigation database includes most private airports in the US, while the 396 does not. However you can definitely use the user waypoint method described above to add your own waypoint to reference a private airport. If you make sure the waypoint elevation is set correctly, and the symbol is set to "Private Airport", "Soft Field", or one of the other airport-type symbols, the unit's terrain alerting algorithms will treat that user waypoint as an airport for the purposes of nuisance alert suppression, which will help avoid unwanted terrain alerts when landing there.

- Matt

From what I have read, the 496 database shows private airports. The only private airports that are in the 396 database are those that are charted by Jeppesen, which usually means only private airports with instrument approaches.

Does anyone know if a waypoint created in the automotive mode, which appears to be the only mode where a waypoint can be created using with coordinates, will show as a selection in the aviation mode?

Oops, you must have just beat me to the answer! So here's an answer back... in the 196/296/396/496, user waypoints are shared between aviation and automotive mode, so they should show up in both modes.

- Matt

Thanks for the info Matt!

Perhaps you can save me a few moments. Early tomorrow I am flying to the RAF event at Blackwater, 8FD3. I will only have a few moments to set up the GPS since we are launching at daybreak.

From Airnav the coordinates of 8FD3 are:

30-52-39.6660N / 086-51-15.8560W
30-52.661100N / 086-51.264267W
30.8776850 / -86.8544044

Can you tell me which of those three formats the 396 wants?

Thanks again.

Perhaps you can save me a few moments. Early tomorrow I am flying to the RAF event at Blackwater, 8FD3. I will only have a few moments to set up the GPS since we are launching at daybreak.

From Airnav the coordinates of 8FD3 are:

30-52-39.6660N / 086-51-15.8560W
30-52.661100N / 086-51.264267W
30.8776850 / -86.8544044

Can you tell me which of those three formats the 396 wants?

These three coordinate pairs are in the following formats:

dd mm ss.ssss
dd mm.mmmm
dd.dddd

Any one of these three formats will work, depending on how you have your unit configured. The default position format is dd mm.mmmm, so if I had to guess I would say the middle choice would be correct. However you will want to verify the position format for which your unit is configured, by going to the Main Menu --> Setup --> Location. Otherwise if you are using the wrong format, you could end up being off by several miles!

I have often thought that this stuff would be easier if the planet was flat. Heck, the one we've got isn't even perfectly round anyway, which is one of the reasons we have things like map datums... which is whole different topic. :)

- Matt