grover

Well Known Member
am feeding 396 audio into a ps engineering intercom. the voice alerts are fairly quiet even with the 396 volume turned up to 11. or whatever it goes to. is this normal?

I had to put mine

on pins 3 and 16 (Expansion Audio, in and out) to get the volume to work. I have a PS1000 II. I initially had the lines on pins 7 and 20 (music input low) and like you the audio was almost nil. I talked to PS and they said it wouldn't work, but I had read that it would so I tried it and it works perfect. XM music and all annunciators from my 496 or loud and clear.

Not sure about other PS models but that's how it works on mine. Hope this helps.

On the 496 hand helds, there are audio wires in the bundle which includes the power lines. These are NOT the ones you want to use!

There should also be a 1/8" audio jack. That should be the source for your music / audio alerts.

I'm guessing it is the same on the earlier models.

On the 496 hand helds, there are audio wires in the bundle which includes the power lines. These are NOT the ones you want to use!

There should also be a 1/8" audio jack. That should be the source for your music / audio alerts.

I'm guessing it is the same on the earlier models.

Breister is correct..
I should have stated that the wires I'm talking about are in fact from the 1/8 in audio out plug that's on the back of the Garmin, not the wires in the power cord.

I'm having a similar problem with a 496 connected to a GMA 240. Anyone have experience solving the problem there?

It's been my experience with ALL the "X96's" that the audio out volume is just too low - I think the output voltage isn't what the audio panels are expecting. I think that the higher end PS audio panels have gain adjustments for the audio inputs - but I know the 6000 doesn't....:(

Many of the Intercoms have a "Music" channel input which boosts the volume much higher than the audio output from comm radios meant to drive headphones directly.

On my Sigtronics, the volume was much too low on the radio input (which would not have provided automatic muting upon receiving a radio call), but the music channel was actually too loud so I added a potentiometer to control volume. That way I only have to use the rocker switch to set "max volume" once on the x96, and can dial volume up/down easily on the panel.