rv4dude

I'm getting close to the needing an IO-360 CS 180 HP engine in this ongoing fun building process. Question for those who have built their own engine from a kit supplier. How complete was the kit? Any problems? Suggestion? The reason I ask I remember hearing some rumbling awhile back about someone ordering a engine kit from someone and getting nickled and dimed for extra but needed hardware and other small stuff to complete a engine.

Superiors website has the posted kits prices...few bucks more I'll have them assemble the engine. Not saving that much with them with the SL kit. ECI is the next direction, but I havn't seen prices and what is in a kit. I'll stop rambling and start listening/reading the post...takes me too long to type :eek:

Tell me your experiences.
Cheers
Kel

The kit is fairly complete, but you will need some additional parts:

1) Oil squirters are not included. You'll want 8 of them. (note: you don't have to put them in, but since ECI engine is set up for those, I see no reason why you wouldn't -- it's a nice improvement over Lycoming)

2) Hardware (bolts, nuts, washers) is not included. The place where I bought the kit from has a "hardware kit". Unlike #1, this is not optional (you can't assemble the engine w/o bolts :) ). The hardware kit was a very good match, with maybe just one or two bolts not matching correctly.. but you can get those after you assemble most/all of the engine.

3) No accessories are included. So, you'll need to buy mags, fuel pump, starter, and alternator (and carb if you go down that road.. not sure about F.I. as I didn't do IO).

That's about it. The rest was all in the kit.

PS. ECI kit will cost you thousands less than Superior's SL kit, even if you account for accessories. Call authorized dealers from ECI's website for quotes -- I am very happy with the dealer I got my kit from. There was a earlier thread with more details -- searching for it would be helpful.

HTH

Superior O-360

We bought and assembled the Superior O-360 kit with low compression pistons (170hp) so I can burn auto gas in the RV9. It was complete, no nickel and dime. In fact, they were excellent for questions answering emails and phone calls quickly. My friend is an experienced engine builder and, in total, we had 2 labor days to assemble. I made an engine stand out of an old satellite dish base so the crank was vertical.

Make sure you have a copy of the Lycoming manual and we used Loctite, not silk thread for the case halves.

In retrospect, I would let them build it (next time) so it gets tested in their facility and makes the warranty longer. I was really impressed with the parts.

Superior had a recall on certain cylinders. I sent in the form and THEY CALLED ME to assure me my engine was not on the list. Talk about service.

MrNomad said:
Superior had a recall on certain cylinders. I sent in the form and THEY CALLED ME to assure me my engine was not on the list. Talk about service.

What makes you think Lycoming wouldn't have done the same thing?

Kidding! Kidding! Don't beat me.... :eek:

ECI web listed dealers

Radomir said:
PS. ECI kit will cost you thousands less than Superior's SL kit, even if you account for accessories. Call authorized dealers from ECI's website for quotes -- I am very happy with the dealer I got my kit from. There was a earlier thread with more details -- searching for it would be helpful.

HTH

My local authorized ECI dealer told me to call AERO... a lot of the dealers listed on the ECI web site really want to sell you kits built-up to your specifications, rather than a kit of parts.

AERO was a lot cheaper, and don't do engine building.... :)

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
eci IO360 cold sump and silverhawk FI

bought mine from AERO, great price, great service, very complete. the parallel valve does not come with the oiler nozzles. I questioned it and the response was other builders were having oil pressure fluctuations and it was determined that the oil pump was not able to "keep up" so the oilers were pluged which solved the problem. I didnt know this until after the purchase, so naturally I was disapointed but overall satisfied. BTW the angle valve engines have a high output oil pump which handles the oilers easily.

superior kit engine

I bought the engine kit and had an A&P put it together. There was an issue about some parts not being included. It had something to do with an accessory gear I think. My A&P called superior and they told him that it was not included because it had to do with accessories. My A&P told them that the engine could not be assembled and would not run without those parts. They took the position that it was a complete kit anyway. I think the cost of the extra parts was about $150.

I don't remember much about those details now, but I was a bit disappointed that their "complete" engine kit omitted parts necessary for the engine to run and which I did not consider "assessories". Superior has an excellent reputation and I was suprised at this "gotcha".

I hope this helps. I apologize for not remembering exactly which parts were omitted.

Tony

Aero of IL?

I'm guessing the AERO you have worked with is the one in Illinois? The first dealer listed on the ECI site?
Kel

Has anyone built there own engine at the school that Superior has, also does ECI offer anything similar.

Biscuit said:
Has anyone built there own engine at the school that Superior has, also does ECI offer anything similar.

I am not aware that ECI does it directly, but I did the same thing with my all-ECI engine built up by Mattituck. I flew up there and we built my engine in a day - cost was a round trip ticket on Southwest Airlines ($200). No charge by Mattituck for the "lesson".

Value of the experience? Priceless!

Paul