N208ET

Well Known Member
Hello All,

Well I have a 8A in the works, working on the fuselage, and have been hashing over what to put up front, 160hp or 180. I would like the performance with the 180 but am not sure how well they hold up on mogas. I have heard that the 160 does better on mogas, but then you lose a little on performance. Does anybody out there have a 8A with the 160 and do you like it, wish you went with more. And is anybody using mogas in there 0-360 and having good luck.

Randy

What nonsence!

An (I)o360 is perfectly happy on Mogas as long as you leave the pistons at the standard 8.5:1 CR.

I even know one guy who runs regular unleaded (87 octane)in his standard 360 without issue...

I run premium 92 octane unleaded and my EI's allow the spark advance up to 34 degrees with reducing manifold pressure. It runs exactly the same as on 100LL, including lean of peak operation.

Slap an (I)O360 on there and forget about it...The big debate right now is if we can continue to find Mogas without ethanol...In Oregon we maybe forced to run E10 (i don't personally think it will be a big deal but I'm not 100% sure yet) but you might want to make sure your fuel system components are compatible with Ethanol before you order the motor.

Airflow performance systems are 100% ethanol compatible but I don't know about the fuel pump diaphram, because I don't run a mechanical fuel pump....Don River at AFP might know, he also rebuilds Bendix fuel controllers so he should know about those as well.

Frank

Superior Engines

At CopperState today, the Superior folks were talking about the European unleaded version of 100LL being the probable next aviation fuel.

This is apparently 100LL without the lead, giving it an octane slightly reduced, but equivalent to the no longer available 91/96 - which most of our Lycomings were originally designed to use....:)

Their Vantage engine is certified in Europe for both aviation fuel and unleaded auto fuel (no alcohol).

Interestingly, their Type Certificate has a note for the aviation fuel that says "lead optional".

http://www.easa.europa.eu/doc/Certi...gines/TCDS-Superior O360 series, issue 01.pdf

None of the the Lycoming engines applicable to our use have specific European Type Certificates...

http://www.easa.europa.eu/home/c_tc_engines.html

This fuel apparently is already in use in some countries and does sound like the easiest short term solution...

http://www.easa.europa.eu/home/c_tc_engines.html

gil A

Buy the -360 with the normal 8.5:1 compression ratio. Any engine with 8.5:1 compression should run just fine on 100LL, Autogas, or whatever comes down the pike if 100 LL ever goes away.

Some thoughts that favor the -360:

- The prices for new 0-320s and 0-360's are virtually identical, but the -360 commands a higher resale value.

- There is virtually no weight penalty for going with the -360 over the 320.

-You can get a metal fixed pitch prop for the -360 which doesn't have an RPM restriciton. The metal props for -320's have a "do not exceed" rpm of 2600 due to vibration issues.

- You can always pull the throttle back on the -360 and get the same fuel burn as an 0-320, but with the O-360, you'll always have 20 more HP at your disposal if you choose to use it.