WingedFrog

Well Known Member
The AN490 HT that slides inside the aluminum cylinder has a very tight fit. I am afraid that hammering it in will leave it stuck half way. Heating the tube may help a bit but still would require some banging. Should I remove material to facilitate insertion?

Push Rod

Try deburring the cut edge of the tube. It should slide in. You may need to use a light lubricant. Ours went in with minimal pressure once we deburred the tube.

Thanks, Al, to be on the safe side I also heated the tube with a micro torch and lubricated the fitting. The insertion was easy with this "belt and suspender approach". Better be safe than sorry as so far I still have to order my first messed-up part replacement to VANs (probably should not have said that...:eek:)

Too bad about the torch. How hot did it get, got any idea?

It's very easy to anneal that material. On the old Thorp T-18, that was the technique for softening the wing ribs when forming the flanges, I think.

Not trying to scare you, but using a torch on aluminum can be detrimental.

Dave

:eek: Thanks for the warning Dave, a good reminder some might learn from. In my case it was just a warming of the tube with a little mini torch made from a cigarette lighter, no harm done.