BigJohn

Well Known Member
I am installing the wing connector upgrade. Having a hard time getting the pins to seat in the blue connector. Using a good crimper, and the crimps look good. Still having a hard time getting the pins to lock in. Have had to replace several, and have ordered more from Van's.

Anyone else seen this, or have a suggestion?

Blue connector pins

John,
I looked at your kitlog pictures and from the one crimp I could see there it does not look like the crimp on the insulation is a tight one. I am going by the example crimp that Van's furnished with the kit. They included one crimp completed that was very tight, much tighter than I would have done had I not seen the example.
I put the sample crimp into my tool to see which jaws would be needed. Once crimped to look like the sample, my pins went in very easy with a nice click. Also you are aware that the pin must be oriented correctly or it won't go in. The drawing shows the orientation clearly. I can not think of any other reason the pins are not going in. They should just click in very easily.

Tony

Thanks for the input Tony, good to hear from you. I have been using a professional grade crimper that belongs to my friend Bill at the FBO. You are right about those crimps - they are very tight. I found that the smallest end of the crimper works best for that. I guess today I will replace the two remaining pins that won't stay in with the real tight crimp and see what happens. I called Van's yesterday and asked if they had ever seen a bad connector and they said no.

These pins have been a real time waster. Otherwise the condition inspection work is going well. I finished the MLG mod (no damage found) and am also going to install a fuel pump switch and replace the PTT's.

John

Open barrel connector pins

John,

Have not gone to your Blog to look at photos of your pins, but a few suggestions come to mind about crimping those blue wing connector pins ? or any open barrel connector pin for that matter.

Sometimes the crimping jaws can deform the shaft of the connector by placing a small bow in it. Straightening this bow will allow the pin to slide into the connector easier and seat properly. The strain relief crimp can also end up with an edge that catches on the connector and may require a little tweaking to make sure it is not catching.

Also, if you are using the type of one step crimping tool that crimps the wire connection tabs and strain relief tabs simultaneously, care must be taken not to get the connector pin placed too deep in the dies as to deform the shaft/locking tab on the connector. Don?t think this as big of an issue on the larger connector pins on the blue connector, but it can be on the smaller pins.

Before inserting the connector pins I typically look at the locking fingers and if they look shallow, I?ll gently bend them out a little more with a fingernail or jewelers screwdriver to insure a good positive lock.

My two Lincolns

John
Dues paid until summer
www.dogaviation.com

Mystery solved!

Thank you all, including the PM's. Your comments stimulated more thinking on my part, and I figured out what I was doing wrong. John-G hit it on the head. I was inserting the pin too deep in the crimper and that resulted in deforming the pin down towards the tabs. The tabs themselves were OK, but the deformation of the pin near them was apparently sometimes preventing them from clicking in. Anyway, lesson learned. All I have to do is be very careful to get the pins properly seated in the crimper before squeezing.