DonFromTX

Well Known Member
After a very hard and productive day, it was time to quit, when I could not even figure out what the heck this page is trying to get me to do. I have the first main connector up there, then they give me two more and resort to gibberish to explain them. Has anybody got something in their logs about doing this step? Nothing of help in the search function, so maybe I can make sense of it in the morning..

Last edited:
Is it a particular step that has you stumped?

The tasks in this page have you route the wires of the Optional Wiring Harness, install the AP disconnect switch, and connect some wires together with butt splices(2). The latest revision also has you run and connect the Cockpit Light Power Wire(This saves you a lot of trouble later). The big connectors(25 Pin D-Sub) don't connect to anything yet - Its the unterminated wires you are dealing with on this page.

You'll probably have no trouble after a good nights rest. Just take it one step at a time.

If you follow the instructions for the AP disconnect switch, you will have that center panel piece permanently attached unless you cut them. You might want to hold off on that. Lots of folks are lengthening those short wires and adding disconnects. Look at Tony T's pics for how the wiring progresses.

In my opinion the center panel is the least removeable of the three instrument panels due to the radio trays and throttle cable etc. Any necessary access to the instrument panel can be had easily by removing the EFIS or left side instrument panel.

With respect to Bill and his comment: If the panel has not been painted/powder coated I too would wait on connecting the AP Disconnect Switch wires.

Adding additional connections in the AP Disconnect circuit only increases the chances of a problem with an important circuit. Just my 2 cents.

Don, before you install that a/p switch, take a continuity test of the switch terminals. Mine was defective. Thankfully, I had a disconnect under the shelf. Another .02

Might want to hold off on this harness until Skyview!

Do we even think that this wiring harness will work at all with Skyview? I would keep it in the Bag until Skyview is out just in case you can send it back for the new harness.:confused:

Lots in that harness is independent of Skyview. After a visit to Dynon, I am very confident that Van's is going to have a well integrated retrofit kit that takes maximum advantage of the existing installed components. At some point you have to keep building and you can't make a lot of progress without putting in that harness! For example, you can't finish all of the flight control hardware connections until all that major wiring is run and snugged down. So - make your own decision. While the Skyview may take a few more wires to the tail cone, fishing a couple of extra ones will be comparatively easy. Regarding extra wire spade connections on the AP switch - consider all the ways you can turn off the autopilot, and look at all the connections in series powering your fuel pump...! Also, since the AP servos are stepper motors, there is no mechanical connection you have to manually overpower if it came to that, only an electromagnetic one. Those spade connections are very strong and reliable - probably more so than a DB-9 ... least of my worries! BTW if you are "waiting for Skyview" you can get the AP servos and all hardware and instructions you need (control rods, etc) and WITHOUT the $450 AP-74 unit that the Skyview does not use, by ordering the "RV-12 AP Servo Kit" for $1615. Do it via fax order. I've already installed all of that and am just leaving the panel stuff empty for now, moving on to the canopy. (I will temporarily install the three panel pieces for rigidity before fitting the canopy, even though Skyview will need 3 new panel pieces.)

Some excellent food for thought fellows, thanks for all that. I am banking on the Skyview being easily retrofitted, and just will not wait doing nothing until it arrives. Maybe I should not have riveted the center panel in - oh well, I am a real pro at drilling out rivets.

Don,

Good advice from Bill_H. Also, as a general rule, I like to make things removeable rather than riveting them in place whenever possible, and that's what I did on my plane whenever there was an option. Makes future maintenance/repair a lot easier.

I'll answer your email re: wing pins this AM.

Hope your WX in Texas is as nice as here this AM. Blue sies for a change.

John

OK, back on 31-07, step 10 now. Connect the AP disconnect wires to where? At the first of the step, they say specifically MAIN d-sub. Further down they drop the main (which makes it the other 25pin D-sub). Then they give a figure 2, and again the MAIN is left out. So which 25 pin d-sub do I stick the pins into?
Also there is an instruction to go to 5W for instructions on the backshell of the d-sub. Darned if I can find a section 5w.

I moved this up, I still don't know which 25 pin d-sub to plug the AP disconnect wires into. Help anyone?

OK, back on 31-07, step 10 now. Connect the AP disconnect wires to where? At the first of the step, they say specifically MAIN d-sub. Further down they drop the main (which makes it the other 25pin D-sub). Then they give a figure 2, and again the MAIN is left out. So which 25 pin d-sub do I stick the pins into?
Also there is an instruction to go to 5W for instructions on the backshell of the d-sub. Darned if I can find a section 5w.

Main d-sub of the optional harness. Not the one that connects to the AP-74 control module.

Last edited:
I guess I was not clear. There are TWO d-sub connectors on the WH-RV12-Optional wiring harness. Apparently sometimes they call the one with the most wires MAIN, and the other that branches off of that and has fewer wires AP74. Then sometimes they drop the names and you cannot tell which one they are referring to.

Main

Don,
31-07 step 10 refers to the main optional connector, NOT the one with few wires that connect to the AP74
Joe

THANK you very much! I was about to go ahead and put them there since Main was mentioned once, and there were open holes in that connector, but sure hated to wire by guesswork!
Thanks again!