rv8guy

Well Known Member
Well, I hit 300 hours on the Hobbs as I landed today with the second test fllight with the new Whirlwind 200RV.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rv8guy1/NewPropForMissSue#

I have to say, I thought I would miss the sexy three blade, but this thing looks great with the flat black finish. It is very smooth so far, and works flawlessly. It appears to be about 5-7 Knots faster as well. I do have the plane in official phase 1, and have 3.5 more to go. Good news is the weather looks great.

Can't say enough about Whirlwind, The Atlanta FSDO, and Grady and Brandon at GLO Custom--they all helped me get this done with no problem!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Looks great Marshall! You're -8 is one of my absolute faves though. Just saying I could be biased... :)

me too. Flew this AM and everything is great, inspections all look good, and what a nice Thanksgiving morning to fly the skies

Just wondering what 3 bladed prop you removed from your airplane? Do you find the Whirlwind 2 blade to be just as smooth?

I removed a Whirlind 151. At this point the 200RV is very smooth, but it is not dynamically balanced yet

I didn't really switch from 2 to 3, I switched from a 151 with a long history to a 200RV with no limitations, a higher top speed, etc.

The just happened to have 3 and 2 blades.

The 200RV is living up to all of my expectations so far

Nice job on the prop. Most aviators find it hard to belive but a two bladed prop is much more efficiant then a three bladed. Hence the increase in speed. If performance is what your after two bladed is the way to go.

So--after 5 hours, all is well with the new propellor. There is a noticable increase in speed, and the prop works very smoothly. As much as I liked the 151, it was sometimes a llittle "jerky" especially during takeoff. The 200RV is very smooth, even with an aggressive appplication of throttle.

I am very happy, Miss Sue is out of Phase I again, and I look foreward many hours behind the new look

151 to 200RV

Yep I second your observations. I think my 151 looked great and was very smooth, but tended to hunt a bit and had a grease seepage problem (I had an earlier version of the 151). When I switched to the 200RV I got about a 4 Knot gain and rock solid throttle transient capture. Overall I think the 200RV is a very smooth prop from a vibration standpoint, and not bad to look at either, but the thing I love is that it seems to be operationally bullet proof (I need to find some wood to knock on).
Also, I have nothing but great things to say about the folks at Whirlwind from a customer support perspective. When I expressed concerns about my 151, Greg Anderson and the guys at Whirlwind bent over backwards to make sure that I was happy. In my case, they built up a custom 200RV with an extended hub so that it would fit in the same length of cowl that I had before.

Last edited:
Sounds very similar to my experience, so far.

The WW folks are really great like you said.

Bullet Proof--that's what I'm talkin about

Faster prop

I had trouble trying to keep up with you with the old prop. If that prop is truly 7 knots faster I am doomed. However, It does look good. Neil