I am considering buying a quickbuild rv-10 from another builder. the kit has been stored for 3 years in a sealed and insulated hangar in italy, some boxes never opened, other?s only for inspection. Everything is in original packaging.

Is corrosion a concern? Is there any drawback versus getting a new one from vans?

I have tried asking vans, their answer was that they pack for shipping, not for long term storage.

You should definitely inspect every piece before purchasing, especially the skins. Sometimes spotty corrosion can come up underneath the blue film, and if never tended to, bad things may result.

Also, inventory everything. Even if only missing a few things, to replace them may add up to the cost of a new kit, and will negate any savings. So make sure everything is there.

An insulated hangar is a good thing, although it’s best to get parts out of the container and separated where air can circulate around them. It seems any corrosion, if there, would only be light surface that could easily be dealt with, unlike on an assembled plane, when you really can’t get to certain parts without a partial tear down. Many builders leave the blue plastic on for many years to protect it against scratches, although some remove it for concern of possible corrosion. A lot of mixed opinions on which way is best.

Inventoring is an all day affair, and I would certainly want the inventory sheets. For this person to never have opened up some of the packages, he doesn't really know if it is all there or not, and it's a little too late for Van's to reimburse for missing parts now. If you don’t have the opportunity to look at it in person, you’d want some kind of written agreement that you’d get reimbursed for any missing parts, but not sure other than a gentleman's agreement how that would work.

haha....3 years, that is just a baby. It will spend that long in your shop. Unless they are located near the coast or other high-humidity environment, then it should be fine. My kit was around 20 years old when I bought it, no corrosion problem.

haha....3 years, that is just a baby. It will spend that long in your shop. Unless they are located near the coast or other high-humidity environment, then it should be fine. My kit was around 20 years old when I bought it, no corrosion problem.

Couldn't have said that better myself. If the price is right and all the parts are there, go for it.

I didn't expect it to be much of a factor, but when i asked vans they got me worried. Anyways good to hear different opinions, as always! :D

Last edited: