turbo

Well Known Member
4,300 hours and counting

img0089lk.jpg

at this point every 100 hrs seem to be a milestone for this 11 year old bird. maintenance is the key now.
flew out to sebring for the wednesday bfast with 30 pilots and 19 planes, most rvs. great to be home in florida.
vafshirt.jpg

Last edited:
3800--WOW!!

If that is not a record, it is got to be in the top few %.

Congrats on the milestone.:D

I'd venture to say you're not even close to the half life of a 6. There are C-152/172's running around out there with 10K hours of student abuse, sans nosewheels, those aren't nearly as robustly built.

Keep taking care of it, and post when that clock ticks over 10K!

it was definitely a nice morning to fly here. should take 30 years to hit 10k hours. will let you know!!!!!!
img0090lg.jpg

img0089lk.jpg

at this point every 100 hrs seem to be a milestone for this 11 year old bird. maintenance is the key now.
flew out to sebring for the wednesday bfast with 30 pilots and 19 planes, most rvs. great to be home in florida.

Congrats Turbo

I have to get over to see you one of these days. We met at Sun n Fun this year. Hopefully in a few months when my -6 is flying, I'll make the short trip across the state. I'm looking forward to the same record as yours.

Congrats!

I'm curious Turbo, have you had any significant service difficulties or malfunctions with your -6? Do the RV's age gracefully?

My -6 is about 3800 hours behind you, but I'm catching up!

Rob

Welcome back Turbo.
I feel a sick day coming up in the near future.
Wednesday>Sebring, the boss will never now. Ha,Ha,Ha....:D

I don't know how you do it...

Congrats, Turbo.

I feel compelled to speak out for "the rest of us." Man, I'd love to fly that much. Money is one thing, time is another. I don't know how you do it, outside of it being a job.

Reminds me of my training with Mike Seager. Cruising along to an airport to do some T&G's, I asked, "So how many hours do you have on this plane?". He, glancing at the Hobbs, "Oh, about 2,500 hrs," (the plane had 2,500 hrs on it, amongst others he trains on).

I may be jealous, but silently celebrate anyone who can fly lots and live the dream.

Good Idea Dan

I think I feel a case of Wednesday flu coming on too.....
Hmmm, it could hit me about 5:00AM on the 20th. Yeaaahhhh.

its nice to hear from ..........

you guys on here. i am very fortunate to be able to fly as much as i do. i dont know what i would be doing if i hadnt found aviation to fill my need for a incredible hobby. we are a lucky group to be aviators.
the rv6 has treated me very well. no complaints. at this point it just keeping up with the maintenance and what needs to be replaced next. i am an expert in changing tires now. did a front yesterday. found if you get some extra long coarse threaded bolts to get the tire started together that helps a lot.
img0092u.jpg
. enjoy your rv and fly it far. come to turbo rv hotel and spend a night. great place to sit on the dock, relax and talk flying. maybe go for a boat ride.
img0349zq.jpg
vaf.gif

I think I feel a case of Wednesday flu coming on too.....
Hmmm, it could hit me about 5:00AM on the 20th. Yeaaahhhh.

Reminds me of a good friend that owned a machine shop. One day he got a call from an employee saying, "Boss man, I won't be in to work today as I feel I've got a touch of Leukemia coming on...but I'll be better tomorrow."

Mark

Hey Eddy,

Very impressive. Now rack up the hours on the Mosquito.
good luck with your mosquito build. wish i had one. have racked up 1,000 helo hours since fall 2005. love them flying machines!!!!!!!!!!!!! will you keep the rv-7 when the heli is done?

Welcome back Turbo.
I feel a sick day coming up in the near future.
Wednesday>Sebring, the boss will never now. Ha,Ha,Ha....:D

hey, dan, we are still waiting for that sick day. this wednesday was very nice at sebring. keep me in the 'loop' when you decide to get sick.

she is pushing 3,900 soon. there will definitely be a party when she hits 4,000!
ill buy. everyone is invited. it may be around OSH time.
5477215293f8009658e5m.jpg

Turbo, congratulations. That's awe inspiring. At the rate I fly, it'll only be 63 years before I get to 3800 hours!! I'm almost certainly be dead before then, though :(

If the past 20 years are any guide I will be exactly 180 years old when I hit 3800 hours.

Those numbers are amazing Turbo. You should be able to get on the OSH program for something like that 4000 hour milestone, shouldn't you?

hey, dan, we are still waiting for that sick day. this wednesday was very nice at sebring. keep me in the 'loop' when you decide to get sick.

she is pushing 3,900 soon. there will definitely be a party when she hits 4,000!
ill buy. everyone is invited. it may be around OSH time.
5477215293f8009658e5m.jpg

I did have a sick day yesterday but unfortunately I was having some eye surgery. I'm also in middle of my condition inspection and I'm ready to have my 7A repainted. I couldn't handle my terrible paint job anymore & will be having a real painter do it in the next couple of weeks.
I'll be sure to make it there before you head back up to New England.

The clock is still ticking.

img0926z.jpg

passed the 3,900 mark this week. what a great machine.

img0898aw.jpg

cruising above layer IFR to snf. sun rising about 7am.

I did have a sick day yesterday but unfortunately I was having some eye surgery. I'm also in middle of my condition inspection and I'm ready to have my 7A repainted. I couldn't handle my terrible paint job anymore & will be having a real painter do it in the next couple of weeks.
I'll be sure to make it there before you head back up to New England.

Ok. I'm ready. Feeling real sick... if you all are going on Wed.

Ya know, if there was a decimal point in the middle of that, it might be for my plane.

3300_hours.jpg

Good Job Rosie:D

rosie, your numbers are amazing considering a full time job too all these years.

you will definitely do some catching up in may!!!!

how much night time do you have?

keep me posted when you are passing thru florida to the islands. hope to meet up with you and the gang.

img0392l.jpg

I can't wait to join this competition!

Oh this has got me seriously trying to figure out how to retire! BTW, Turbo - I may just have to check in to the RV Hotel :) and as soon as I'm able, this RV B&B will be open ! Only problem is I'll have more space for planes than pilots :)

Keep racking up the fun!

At the current price on the pump here in WA; 3,900 hours is a cool quarter of a million dollars.

However, something makes me think going forward the price of gas could possible go up......... over the next 5, 10, 15 years......:eek:

The RV is the cheap part.........

As Turbo said, let's us all know when you're coming thru Florida.
Right now, I'm writing this email while in Hope Town, Abacos in the Bahamas.
Of course with an adult cocktail.

At the current price on the pump here in WA; 3,900 hours is a cool quarter of a million dollars.

However, something makes me think going forward the price of gas could possible go up......... over the next 5, 10, 15 years......:eek:

The RV is the cheap part.........

that is a really scary thought. even though a lot of the flying was done when the price of avgas was $1.50. i remember my gas bill was about $8,000 for a years flying back then.

dan, whats your pleasure for a cold one in the islands?:cool: been in the 90's here. :confused:are you going to post a trip write up?

that is a really scary thought. even though a lot of the flying was done when the price of avgas was $1.50. i remember my gas bill was about $8,000 for a years flying back then.

dan, whats your pleasure for a cold one in the islands?:cool: been in the 90's here. :confused:are you going to post a trip write up?
Definately will post a trip report.
Margaritas tasted good last night. :)

Ed, What is the secret?

I know it is not a secret, so that is about 350 hours per year. How often do you do an oil change (or as they say in Florida, an awl change)? Have you had any work done on the cylinders in that time.

Impressive numbers mate. Keep going or that Californian will catch up.

anthony, that is a lot of gas, tires and oil. 30 hr oil changes. first engine went 3,150 hobbs hours. second engine is a lyc thunderbolt with roller lifts and flowed heads. cylinders were in great shape, cam lifter started making metal. pic of todays flight.
img1047o.jpg
img1044d.jpg

Last edited:
anthony, that is a lot of gas, tires and oil. 30 hr oil changes. first engine went 3,150 hobbs hours. second engine is a lyc thunderbolt with roller lifts and flowed heads. cylinders were in great shape, cam lifter started making metal. pic of todays flight.

How did you operate/maintain the first engine to get 3150 hours out of it, and what was your threshold to finally replace is?

probably flying a lot helped. 30 hr oil changes, oil analysis, wobble test, cutting open oil filters, and flying a lyc. bought a borescope which i will post some pics when i get to using it. it eventually started making metal from the cam/ lifter area.
imgresce.jpg

Are you a LOP or ROP guy? I'm a believer in flying past TBO just the way you did with proper mnt. High time engines don't fail without warning if you're watching.

sig, definitely a ROP guy. burning 8 gal/hr mostly car gas mixed with 100LL and marvel mys oil. thats about it.
img1123xk.jpg

Hobbs is still ticking.

The Hobbs passed the 4,300 mark today.

The garmin odometer passed 25,000 miles this year.

That's about it for now. About once around the earth. Osh was great! :)

Most recent pic, leaving osh. Pic by robert and llonda of the Netherlands, rv7 builder, thanks robert.
image-18.jpg

Last edited:
Turbo, 4,300 hrs with an RV-6a, a bunch in your helicopter and a gyro for fun .... Do you even need a car. I can't remember you ever driving anywhere.

Keep that bird humming along. Congrats

ATPL

There you go Turbo

Airline Transport Pilot Licence= ATPL

In Canada, we mostly use the term : ATR : Airline Transport Rating

Bruno

img1047o.jpg
img1044d.jpg

Just curious, what oil and filter did you use?

I'm just reading right now. Can't start building until after the first of the year but I figured that if you got 3100 hours out of the orgional engine then I might want to use what you're using and at the intervals you are using too.