Lionclaw

Well Known Member
A few months back I experienced a failure of one of my SV32 servos. I had flown from Casa Grande to Demming, refueled, and then on to San Antonio. After departing Demming I found that when I tried to engage the pitch servo the indicator on the Skyview read "SLIP" constantly, and it wouldn't hold altitude. I could feel resistance from the servo however, and felt it slipping when I forced the stick fore/aft.

Dynon replaced both of my servos, and all has been good since then, until yesterday. This time it is my roll servo. It is exhibiting the exact same behavior as the pitch servo when it failed. After one of my fuel stops, I was able to get it working for a short time, but it stopped working after approximately 30 minutes.

Torque on both servos was set to 100. I believe sensitivity was 10. The first failure was an SV32, the second was an SV42. I hadn't heard of any problems with the SV servos yet from anyone else, so I'm wondering if I just have horribly bad luck, or if maybe something else could be going on.

Any ideas? I'll be giving Dynon a call on Monday to follow up.

Andy,

I had a roll servo fail a couple years ago. Sent back to Dynon and they replaced it at no charge. I don't recall exactly what was wrong, but something about odd corrosion in the servo - they were puzzled how it could happen. Note that I'm nowhere near salt water, and the servos were only a couple years old at the time.

Greg

Unfortunately I never followed up on my first replacement, so I'm not sure exactly what caused the failure. I do remember with the first one that the position value was not showing accurately in the servo status screen, so I would guess that the problem may have been a faulty position sensor.

I went out to the hangar to play with the plane a bit more today. The failure mode this time is obviously different. I recorded a few videos to demonstrate the issue. You can hear the raspy noise coming from the servo. Perhaps a failed gear box?

http://youtu.be/A2qXATEVOco

http://youtu.be/n5v_yArfrRY