Gandalf

Well Known Member
I am sure this is an obvious question:

When I attached the brake master cylinders to the WD1211 brake torque tubes using the AN3.-7 bolt, if I torque the bolt to 25 inch pounds the toe brakes do not want to work. In fact, it looks like the torque tube arm wants to rotate about the bolt for best function. So.. I figure I really should just place the bolt and nut to finger tight and use the cotter pin to prevent back out. Is this correct?

Jeff

Don't torque! The cylinder must freely rotate around the bolt. If it's too tight the brake might jam! Fingertight and then even a bit loose.

My, what a timely post.

Discovered the same thing only yesterday. Assembling the Flaperon Mixer, I dutifully checked the correct torque value for AN4 and applied same, resulting in far too much friction in the movement. Re-checking 21-04, Step 4, I eventually came to the part that says, "Torque the bolt enough to remove any slop or play, but still allow freedom of rotation."

It's fascinating the neat things one can find merely by reading the (IFAH) instructions. Duh.

IMG_0638.jpg

Deluxe kit

Dave,
John had to wait so long for his fuse kit that Van's sent him the deluxe blue anodized option. Perhaps I will get the gold anodized wing kit.
:)
Alex

John,

How did you get your parts that pretty blue?

-Dave

Easy?paid the man at the anodizing shop.
Before anyone asks why (since these parts are buried under the floor and thus appearance is not part of the equation) the answer is that I didn't want to shoot primer on control linkage parts so as to avoid any possible paint thickness build-up from compromising freedom of movement.