MikeyDale

Well Known Member
I have a pre owned Lycoming IO 360 B1E and a new Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2 I purchased from Vans. I have replaced the rear facing sump on the B1E with a Superior cold air sump. Assuming all AD's were complied with on the engine and prop, would I be eligible for the 25 hour Phase 1 test period ? Where do you look to see if this engine/prop combination appears on a type certificate?

Thanks in advance!

As I understand it, the engine AND prop have to be certified together to get the 25 hours.

I do know of one builder who used an engine and prop out of a damage RV and received a 25 hour Phase I because the engine and prop came from a previously certified airplane.

That said,40 hours will go by fast and will give you just enough time to perform all the tests.

I got a 25hr phase one from the faa with an electronic ignition. Guess it depends on the inspector.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

Keep in mind that FAA inspectors do NOT have the authority to "override" the rules. If an inspector did something wrong, your airworthiness may not be valid.

Keep in mind that FAA inspectors do NOT have the authority to "override" the rules. If an inspector did something wrong, your airworthiness may not be valid.

Thanks Mel. Do you know if replacing the sump of the B1E makes me ineligible for the 25 hour deal?....I have no problem with the 40 hr phase 1 but the restricted test area will probably be confining where I'm at with so few airports so spread apart.

Thanks Mel. Do you know if replacing the sump of the B1E makes me ineligible for the 25 hour deal?....I have no problem with the 40 hr phase 1 but the restricted test area will probably be confining where I'm at with so few airports so spread apart.

Probably! Unless you can find a certified aircraft that used that particular sump.