rv8guy

Well Known Member
I am at about 27 hours now, and things are going pretty well.

The WW-151 has kicked out a little grease, but seems to have calmed down. I had a chattering brake, but finally got it broken in.

I still have no wheel pants, but that will follow shortly. Currently, I am testing the CG further and futher back, and I had my worst landing yet yesterday. Seems I am still on the learning curve, with the wheel landing winning so far. I just managed to land about 2 feet too high trying for a 3 point. Mild crosswinds have been no issue. I did pick up a little buffet pre-stall with 20 degree flaps and 100 lbs in the back seat, but that seems like the only difference so far

I've had a lot of rough air, so some of the speed and climb testing are on hold for that. I work full time, so the best days seem to get by without me flying.

I have an Altrack and a Navaid wing leveler, and these work great, with the Navaid tracking VOR or Garmin 196 very well. I also have the aileron trim and frankly I like it all. It trims and flies very well indeed, but it is nice to turn on the AP and check a chart, or enter data on one of my sheets with a little more confidence. I cannot feel the aileron springs during flight, and the controls a really smooth all the way around.

This plane is an entirely new level of performance for me, since my fixed wing is mostly in older tail draggers with a PA-16 "Clipper" accounting for most. The majority of my time is in military helicopters. Having said that, I am being pretty cautious as I learn the ins and outs of this awesome airplane.

Happy to answer questions, but it sure seems that thos ethat have gone berfore me are doing a great job of passing on flight info.

Keep those rivets pounding--the 7.5 years were worth it for me, just looking to get the 40 hours behind me now.

Marshall,
WHere are you keeping the plane?
When can I come see it?
When are you gonna come fly with the rest of your RV friends that have been encouraging you all these years?

Your flying an RV in North Georgia and you have not contacted Kahuna? Whats the matter with you? :confused:
Dont make me come hunt you down. I will do it and it wont be pretty. :eek:

Best

Last edited:
OK OK Kahuna!

it is hiding at Athens

you are welcome any time, but I'm out for a week or more.

I need a little help from you anyway

I'll holler when I'm back

Marshall---Kahuna:

when you two get together at KAHN, how bout flying 15-20 min. up U.S. 441 to KAJR (Habersham County) and check out my RV-8 Project. Would love to meet you and see both your aircraft.

Give me a little "heads up" at 770-519-4999.

I'm getting close!

Mannan Thomason