rvator10

Well Known Member
Patron
I?m getting close to the certification of my RV8A.
My DAR has asked if I can correlate the engine and propeller combination (vans parts) with any kind of production aircraft.
This would allow him by similarities to only require a 25 hour test requirement instead of the 40 hours.

Have any of you run across this before?
Do you have a solution that I can offer to the DAR to only require the 25 hour flight test?

Below are the engine and propeller combination that I purchased from Vans.
Experimental O-360 180HP
LYC XO-360-A1A
Compact hub Constant-speed prop for (I)O-360 (180/200hp) 74"
PROP C2YR-1BFP/F7497
thanks

You can stop right at the engine. The LYC XO-360-A1A is an experimental engine, thus you get 40 hours.

The regs state that to get 25 hours you must have a certified engine - prop combination. Meaning that if you could pull an engine and prop right from a certified aircraft and stick in your homebuilt, you get 25 hours. Since you opted for the experimental Lycoming, even though it is identical to a certified O-360-A1A, you get 40 hours, regardless of what prop you stick on it.

Last edited:
"LYC XO-" does it for me. You're not going to find one of those on anything certified.

I experienced this same issue. Van's directed me to Hartzell Propeller Inc. for pertinent data. The link includes a list of propellers for use in RV's. http://www.hartzellprop.com/kitplane/index_kitplane.htm

I called Hartzell and was told specific approved engine/prop combo information can be accessed at the FAA. I never could figure out how to access that information.

In any event, my DAR approved the 25 hour test period when he understood the OEM YIO-360-MIB I purchased through Van's and shipped directly from Lycoming is essentially identical to a "certified" engine. Apparently other builders have used DAR's that do not see things the same way. Lucky me.

If the DAR elects to issue a 25 hour flight test period even if the engine/prop combination otherwise requires a 40 hour flight test, where does that leave the builder? Does he have to follow the regs which require 40 hours? Or can he sign it into Phase 2 after 25 hours based on his operating limitations?

I'm using a Subaru engine and a carbon Sensenich prop, but my DAR issued me a 25 hour flight test period.

Thoughts?

Paul

I'm using a Subaru engine and a carbon Sensenich prop, but my DAR issued me a 25 hour flight test period.

Amazing................. :confused:

In regard to your original question, if your op lims say twenty-five hours, that is all you are legally obligated to fly in Phase one........I guess......it's difficult to understand the rational of the DAR...............

Last edited:
Paul

My first thought is that your DAR may not be one for long. A DAR may require MORE hours but he cannot approve LESS!

Since you know that you should use 40 hours why not call the DAR and have the time corrected?

What is the problem?

Nothing about having been issued a 25 hour test period means that you have to take a passenger up at 25.1 hours. Fly your test program and get confident with the airplane. That should take longer than 40 hours anyway.

I wonder how many hours Kevin Horton is into his test program now? Probably a lot more than 25 hours and it is with traditional parts.

I agree with Larry. If you fly a complete test program, you won't be done in 25 hrs. anyway.
If you sign off Phase I before 40 hrs. and something happened, things could get sticky.
Lawyers have a way of pointing out things like, "You knew you were supposed to get 40 hrs. but you took advantage of the mistake."
Just my $.02.

How about this one...I have an O-320 on my RV-8. It was an O-320 D2J/160hp with the 8.5:1 pistons. It was rebuilt by an engine shop but he put 9:1 pistons in it and then put a different crank in so I could use a C/S prop. This would be just like the engine in the twin commanche I believe. He put in the log book that it was now an O-320 EXP and my DAR just went on without question and put the 40 hr requirement on my plane. SO...if this configuration is one that Lyc makes and uses the hartzell prop from Vans I could really have had the engine shop change the dash # and it would be a certified engine again?

I've also heard that if you have an experimental electronic ignition, or an experimental fuel injection system...you get 40 hours, even if you have a certified engine/prop combo. Correct?

I've also heard that if you have an experimental electronic ignition, or an experimental fuel injection system...you get 40 hours, even if you have a certified engine/prop combo. Correct?
Well in this case, you no longer have a certied engine.
The electronic ignition and experimental fuel injection are not listed on the type certificate for the engine.

Well in this case, you no longer have a certied engine.
The electronic ignition and experimental fuel injection are not listed on the type certificate for the engine.

Makes perfect sense! Good thing to point out tho...;)

Hartzell has an STC for the Mooney M20C with the 7497 and O-360-A1A. I'd try for that! Go for it!

I'm not saying to lie to a DAR about what you have installed. But in my mind, and XO-360-A1A and an O-360-A1A are the same engine... and apparently some DAR's agree. Electronic ignition probably kills that theory.