flion

Well Known Member
I don't wish to start the 24 vs 12 volt debate again, there's already a thread for that. My RV-10 will have 24 volt to accommodate the air conditioner and the long run from starter to battery; my RV-6A is quite happy with 12 volts. The VP system will handle my needs for both voltages quite well, but I still need solenoids for battery, starter, and ground power. I'd like to hear from anyone else for recommendations (specific part #s, please) for these items, as I am leery of just looking online or the ACS catalog.

Patrick,

Contact Jim at Lamar Technologies - they have a new line of contactors (not the solid state ones) that are like the Cole-Hersee but designed for aviation. Since you want 24v, you should be able to use any of the standard aircraft ones.

See our Contactor Service Manual for details on the different contactors: http://verticalpower.com/documents/

Also, don't forget about the flap motor -Van's only sells a 12v model.

Thanks, Marc, that's good info that I overlooked. I'm assuming the ground power contactor is wired similarly to the battery contactor in regards to diode and grounding? I'm looking at one on a C-172 as a guide. Also, I had the impression from the tech at Aerotronics that the VP-200 would deliver 12V out to the flap motor. Did I misunderstand? Or perhaps he's installing a transformer; I'll have to check. They've done VP in RVs before, so I'd bet they are not forgetting the flap motor voltage.

Mr. Frazier: thanks, but the problem in my neck of the woods is cooling the seat. ;)

I did 24v also for AC

You will probably be forced into setting up some form of a 12V supply also for some of the items that are only availible in 12V without spending the entire bank account to have it costom made.

Flap motor
Trim
Accessory Charger Jack
Fuel pump
Etc.

I have an extra Redarc 24-12volt converter that I will not be using capable of 20 amp and only weighs 2.2 lb. advertised in the classifieds section.

To answer your question I just ordered this http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/masterrelay.php for the master and best I remember used the 12V buss on the starter relay.