Gandalf

Well Known Member
I am dry fitting the upper firewall before applying fuel tank sealant and riveting. I notice that at the upper forward corners of the side skins, near the forward end of the longerons, there is an opening for a #8 screw that is not dimpled yet. The rivet hole below the #8 screw hole is dimpled. The matching upper firewall K1100-08 is is dimpled. SOOO I just assume I should dimple the #8 hole before I attach the upper firewall. Once I attach the firewall it will be very difficult to dimple the hole in the side skin. Am I correct in dimpling the #8 hole in the side skins now?

Jeff

I am dry fitting the upper firewall before applying fuel tank sealant and riveting. I notice that at the upper forward corners of the side skins, near the forward end of the longerons, there is an opening for a #8 screw that is not dimpled yet. The rivet hole below the #8 screw hole is dimpled. The matching upper firewall K1100-08 is is dimpled. SOOO I just assume I should dimple the #8 hole before I attach the upper firewall. Once I attach the firewall it will be very difficult to dimple the hole in the side skin. Am I correct in dimpling the #8 hole in the side skins now?

Jeff

Good catch Jeff. Yes that #8 hole needs to be dimpled. The upper fuse skin which is dimpled needs to fit into a dimpled #8 nutplate hole there. I just temporarily installed the upper fuse skin and guess what? Mine isn't dimpled which is holding the skin proud there. I'll have to dimple mine after the fact...............heck! Shouldn't be too bad. I'll just back up the nutplate with something, insert the male portion of the dimple die in the hole, and smack it with a hammer. Still it would of been easier earlier.

Jim

Those #8 screws become important in 29A-05

I haven't found yet where the instructions say to install those #8 screws (maybe I missed it), but did discover that they are necessary for properly seating the multiple parts stack-up in those corners for final riveting, and especially for sealing the firewall in Step 7.