buz

Well Known Member
@ 4500';) This was about midway through the race, heading home from Jacksonville.
buz914

Was taken with 3g iphone.

No TFR's, figure its hard to do with an airport next door. Was on flight following.

When I was a student pilot, the "old-timers" at the airport used to reminisce about flying over Lambeau Field during the Packer games. Green Bay approach would stack the planes in a hold over the stadium and they'd listen to the game on the ADF! Good old days...

AlphaCharlieBravo wrote: Just curious as to why you were at 4500' flying West to East? FAR 91.159 lists the cruising altitudes for your direction of travel as odd thousands + 500'.

Florida ATC generally wants northbound traffic at odd altitudes for IFR and odd plus 500 for VFR and southbound traffic at even altitudes for IFR and even plus 500 for VFR. I assume it is because most traffic in FL tends to be north and south.

You are correct about the National Defense Airspace around sporting events. However, I'm not sure that is technically a TFR, and they don't seem to ever issue TFR's for races at Daytona. For one thing, the track is at the airport, which, of course, is the center of the class C airspace. So, anybody in there is (hopefully) talking to ATC, so can presumably fly close to the event as one would need to do while taking off or landing at KDAB.

Last edited:
Geez guys, take it easy, can't a guy share a cool experience.

Ocean on left, southbound

Last edited:
It's awesome Buz. I too am not afraid that some guy in an RV10 was threat to national security.

I am actually looking at buying a house right now in Daytona. You can bet I'll be buzzing the perimeter of the stadium FR within inches (+/-) Let the FAA bring their tape measure!

I'm with you BUZ....why do some folks have to always be so critical?

The point is correcting the assertion that there was no TFR associated with that event. If a pilot wishes to ignore the TFR that is their choice but at least the readers of this thread will have factual information.

The point is correcting the assertion that there was no TFR associated with that event. If a pilot wishes to ignore the TFR that is their choice but at least the readers of this thread will have factual information.

Technically(per FSS briefer) there was no TFR for the Daytona race, what there was is the class 2 NOTAM # 9-5151 as referenced in an earlier post. He said this is not a TFR. It's a NOTAM.

So again, the answer to the question of if there was a TFR for Daytona, the answer is/was NO. I figured 'yall already knew about the sporting event NOTAMs by now.

I was also on flight following for extra precaution.

No TFR correct, it is important to note. At least TFR's show up on my Garmin. Nasty little Stadium NOTAMS sneak up on you. Same thing with National Parks flight restrictions. I guess, it's not okay to fly too close to something so sacred. Instead you can take your Harley through with cut-off pipes and it's okay.

No TFR correct, it is important to note. At least TFR's show up on my Garmin. Nasty little Stadium NOTAMS sneak up on you. Same thing with National Parks flight restrictions. I guess, it's not okay to fly too close to something so sacred. Instead you can take your Harley through with cut-off pipes and it's okay.

Hey don't start picking on the Harley guys....thats how I make my living.:D

There are a couple of stadiums right off the end of 26 in Philly. Nearly every time we'd land on 26, we'd fly just about right over the top of Lincoln Financial Field at about 800 ft or so. And this was in a 42,000 lb Dash 8.

Of course it was for the purpose of landing, but I have never read anything about games or events at the stadium in our flight release.

Steve

Technically(per FSS briefer) there was no TFR for the Daytona race, what there was is the class 2 NOTAM # 9-5151 as referenced in an earlier post. He said this is not a TFR. It's a NOTAM.

So again, the answer to the question of if there was a TFR for Daytona, the answer is/was NO. I figured 'yall already knew about the sporting event NOTAMs by now.

I was also on flight following for extra precaution.

No criticism of your flight (perfectly legal at 4500'). Great video by the way.

However I agree with others that flight over the same area but below 3000 seems to be the source of some confusion. Or maybe its just me that's confused. Either way, the NOTAM as quoted in post 6 specifically says "all aircraft and parachute operations are prohibited..." during the time its in effect. To me the word "prohibited" seems pretty unambiguous, and means that compliance is required. Even if not technically called a TFR it seems to mean the same thing.

If I've got this wrong I'd sure like to know.