Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Nothing has been published anywhere that I could find on the web about the 2011 AirVenture Cup Race so I asked for information on a SARL site. David Adams went straight to the source for information and here is what he learned from Eric Wyte.

Bob Axsom

Hi Dave,

I am not sure what wild rumors are floating around out there, but I can give you the "official" answer. There will be a 2011 AirVenture Cup Race. We are starting in Dayton, OH again this year and Commander Aero will be our hosts there. We had a conference call this morning to try and figure out where the finish line will be, as of 9:23pm central time tonight, that has yet to be determined. We are also looking at Race Checkpoints, right now we are looking at Kankakee and Freeport although that may change depending on where the finish line gets moved too. We are trying to avoid Quad Graphics this year due to the fiasco that the FAA makes us go through there, (all because of one deranged woman who claims our racers "go careening over the airport so fast they are barely in control and could spin out and crash into the factory" the FAA realizes she is bonkers but she is loud an bonkers so we have to deal with her. I am thankful I don't work for the Railroad that goes next to her property, I have been able to see some of the wild complaints she has leveled against them!)
Anyway, EAA is supporting the race this year and I have my official paperwork appointing me as the Race Chairman. The Race staff will be returning as well. EAA has become more and more supportive of the race over the past few years. That has mainly been due to the support of the EAA Homebuilt Advisory Counsel. Doug Kelly took it upon himself to learn more about who we are and what we do and soon realized that it is a valuable event. ... In talking to the other members of the Homebuilt Advisory Counsel they have become more supportive of the event because of the participation in the convention of you and the rest of the guys that race. They like the fact that you guys tweak your airplanes and constantly strive to make them faster, safer and more fuel efficient. Recently we had a conversation that they would like to see more Participatory activities for the homebuilders at Oshkosh. Right now the AirVenture Cup is about the only way that the average EAA member can participate in the convention with their aircraft. So we have been getting more support. I hope to see that continue in 2011.

We are in the process of updating the website [www.airventurecup.com ], I sent Frank Pullano about 10 pages of updated information last week so they should reflect the 2011 Race ASAP. Applications should be available in a couple weeks as well.

So far other than the finish line I don't see any major changes this year. We are kicking around the idea of a Biplane class but nothing has been finalized as of yet. I will keep you posted. Feel free to post this as an "official" update and if anyone has any questions they can e-mail me at [email protected]

So with that response, I believe we can feel confident that....we have a race! I responded to Eric that I appreciate him putting up with the headache that the race presents him as Race Coordinator. I would encourage others to respond to him directly at the above address with any appreciation that you would like to pass on. I believe his wife Sarah and the rest of the AirVenture Cup crew are worthy of our thanks as well.

Dave Adams
Long EZ N83DT
Race 83

Last edited:
too bad it's not starting in Mitchell SD this year, I would have tried to race it.

Bob sent you a PM about SARL stuff.

too bad it's not starting in Mitchell SD this year, I would have tried to race it.

Next year Brian! :D

I'm not sure about this year...my brain wants to...my wallet sez, "so you want a new BA prop, eh?"

Contemplating...

Cheers,
Bob

That is one tough choice!

Next year Brian! :D

I'm not sure about this year...my brain wants to...my wallet sez, "so you want a new BA prop, eh?"

Contemplating...

Cheers,
Bob

My BA prop was a bolt on 3 kts just like Vans test report stated. I believe Tom Martin found that on his 540 in the EVO Rocket the speed gain was even greater. No idea how that translates to your Super 6. On the other hand one hates to miss the AirVenture Cup. Though Choice. At this point I am planning on participating in the AVC even though the entry fee is sobering and the route is not nearly as friendly as the one from Mitchell, SD. Good luck with the choice.

Bob Axsom

My BA prop was a bolt on 3 kts just like Vans test report stated. I believe Tom Martin found that on his 540 in the EVO Rocket the speed gain was even greater. No idea how that translates to your Super 6. On the other hand one hates to miss the AirVenture Cup. Though Choice. At this point I am planning on participating in the AVC even though the entry fee is sobering and the route is not nearly as friendly as the one from Mitchell, SD. Good luck with the choice.

Bob Axsom

Bob,

Yes, tough choice. With more SARL races this year, there are also some new western races I would really like to support for the hosts. I have vacation set aside for OSH, but may opt to jumpseat in and save the gas money for races, not that being at OSH is a money saving program with all the cool stuff to buy! ;) And I really need more gas to run hard east to west from Dayton to OSH.

On top of that, a certain Boss I know is testing out a BA on a 550, and that ups the anny for me...since I chase him, and don't want to lose sight. Tom got 7 knots going from an MT 3 to a BA 2. Mark will likely see the same. I may see 5 moving from the D-twist paddle to the BA. So I may need two more (why I'm knee deep in fiberglass dust now). He and a few of us are planning on Pylon Racing Seminar, and maybe a run in Reno in the fall...the Sport guys are really opening up the door for Rockets and fast RVs with a new Sport Class Bronze (Super Sport appears to be gone, and it'll be Sport Gold, Silver and Bronze). But that's a tangent...

...for anyone considering AVC this year, the east to west races are said to be very, very fun. Not only the race, but the hoopla in Dayton is supposed to be awesome (heck, home of the Wright Brothers...how can you go wrong!)

I did my first AVC last year, and Eric and all the AVC racers welcomed me and other rookies with open arms. Really neat group of folks, from all over the country! It's professional, but really quite laid back and personal. If you're thinking about it, don't be intimidated by it, go for it...its just a blast!

I'm really looking forward to Mitchell next year...gotta be there Brian!! :)

Time and money Bob...need more of both!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Bob

......I'm really looking forward to Mitchell next year...gotta be there Brian!! :)

Time and money Bob...need more of both!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Bob

Time and Money is a real issue for me. My goal is to get through 2011 with 2 races and OSH vacation under my belt....and a bunch of family flying goals. can't even think about planning for 2012

More Time Would Be Especially Nice

I have spent most of my available time this winter making a revision to my instrument panel to make it more IFR friendly in the pre GPS glass panel form. Going up with a CFII today for a proficiency check with the new arrangement and zero practice - awkward!

Anyway there has been no time to work on speed mods either. I enrolled in the Lycoming class but had to cancel because it made things not feel right at home - it is a small sacrifice in the big picture but I really would like to have obtained that experience and knowledge - sigh.

I have two speed mods being shaped in my mind - one is trivial but sure and the other has great potential but may not work:

Trivial - fairings for the aileron brackets and the large openings around them (especially at the tip) on the underside of the wing. Covering these items on the high pressure side of the wing must reduce drag. A year or two ago I made covers for the openings around the aileron mounting brackets on the upper side of the wing at the tip and that mod slowed the airplane down. I theorized that the situation was like holding a paper cup in the wind with the bottom punched out (similar to before the mod) then holding a similar paper cup in the wind with the bottom still in (similar to the hole cover mod). The air still enters the big hole on the high pressure side but has no relief port. I looked at this area on Dave Anders' RV-4 at Mitchell, SD last year and he has not closed the opening on top of the wing either. The current idea fairing design will deflect the air around the protruding structure and entry hole and a compliant aileron fairing will cary the separated air to a smooth (non turbulent) rejoin aft. As long as it doesn't reduce the speed, I would leave this one on as a beneficial mod that is too small to measure with the test methods available.

Great Potential but may not work - I keep grinding away at ideas for the cooling air exit from the cowl. I am currently thinking along the lines of a metal structure in the center that expands horizontally in the opening to reduce the opening sizes of two exit ports, increase the velocity and maintain separation for a smooth rejoin of the separated well aft of the existing cowl truncation. There could be some slightly curved extensions on the sides to start the air following the cowl surface around the FAB toward the centerline. I may try a tapered horizontal plate to extend the bottom of the cowl back over the center structure as well - it's fun to think about it anyway.

Bob Axsom

I have two speed mods being shaped in my mind - one is trivial but sure and the other has great potential but may not work:

Trivial - fairings for the aileron brackets and the large openings around them (especially at the tip) on the underside of the wing.

Great Potential but may not work - I keep grinding away at ideas for the cooling air exit from the cowl. I am currently thinking along the lines of a metal structure in the center that expands horizontally in the opening to reduce the opening sizes of two exit ports, increase the velocity and maintain separation for a smooth rejoin of the separated well aft of the existing cowl truncation. There could be some slightly curved extensions on the sides to start the air following the cowl surface around the FAB toward the centerline. I may try a tapered horizontal plate to extend the bottom of the cowl back over the center structure as well - it's fun to think about it anyway.

Bob Axsom

I'd like to play with aileron hinge fairings too Bob. Look at the F1 EVO wings for some inspiration there (maybe).

Trying to visualize the cowl mods you're discussing. Any concept sketches? (if they aren't top secret :D). On the after-cowl area, what you are discussing sounds like one mod Larry Vetterman did. In Mitchell last summer, he showed me what he did after that enclosed after cowl (the one with the ex pipes coming out of it and the louvered air exit). He removed that mod, and placed a 1/4"-ish thick, curved-edged, thickener (for lack of a better word) on the belly of the fuse right behind the exit opening, in the same shape as that enclosed cowl mod. Think of it as a thin teardrop-shaped bulge on the belly just aft of the opening. My guess is the curved surface may have used Coanda effect to keep the flow attached to the belly better (reading from Paul Lipps writings).

He told me it gave him the same benefit as the enclosed cowl. I'd like to follow-up with him to see if his assessment is still the same. I'm thinking of adding a bell in front of the engine mount that curves down to the exit, and fairs right into a similar structure. Still trying to decide if the bell should be convex (a la Paeser, I think), or concave (a la Dan H).

Fun stuff!

And Brian...roger all...same conundrum here!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
AVC Dayton

I don't know what they are planning for the Sat. night pre race event at Dayton, but in the past the catered dinner at the Air Force museum and the speakers at the engineers club have been very interesting and added a great deal to the whole race event. The folks at Commander aero are outstanding hosts. Usually, the entry fee includes the catered dinner, EAA admission for the week, and parking at airshow center. The mass arrival from FLD beats the heck out of the FISK arrival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyxKflL74Y

cm

7-11-11 Update from The Boss - Eric Whyte

Hi Bob,

I don't have the entry list with me, I am on the road for work. The CEO of the
company I fly for decided that July was going to be the busiest month of the
year, I guess he doesn't know that we have this whole race thing to do. I can
give you the race course info to post.
We are starting at Dayton Wright Brothers, KMGY, and the course will have three
turn points, the first is Morris, IL, (C09) the second is Dekalb, IL (KDKB) the
third will be McDermott Airpark, in Sullivan, WI 31WI, and the finish line will
be at West Bend, WI (KETB)

There are only about 30 airplanes registered to race. Many are "the usual
suspects" Sam Hoskins, Keith Phillips, Red Hamilton, Steve and Bruce Hammer, Jon
Ross, Lee Behel, those are guys I have seen in my e-mail this morning. Kevin
Eldridge will be back this year racing his Nemesis NXT now powered with an 8
cylinder Lycoming IO-720 following his engine failure at Reno last year. Joining
Kevin is a Thunder Mustang being flown by Scott Nelson. Tony Crawford will be
back but flying an RV-4 instead of his Questair Venture. Tony had a canopy come
loose on the Venture a couple weeks ago, so he is flying the RV-4.

I hope Jeannie is doing well. I will forward a more complete list later.

Eric

Entry List Update 7-18-11

The following racers are registered for the AirVenture Cup race as of 18 July, 2011

Race
Number Class Name Aircraft
Race 28 Unlimited Jeff Ludwig Glasair III
Race 104 Turbine Marty Abbott Turbine Legend
Race 7 Turbine Rene Dugas Turbine Legend
Race 2 Sport Alan Crawford Lancair Legacy
Race 5 Sport Lee Behel Lancair Legacy
Race 10 Sport Keith Phillips SX-300
Race 42 Sport Kevin Eldredge Nemesis NXT
Race 60 Sport James Cianci Jr SX-300
Race 313 Sport Vicky Benzing Glasair III
Race 14 Sport FX Wayne Hadath F1 Rocket