nucleus

Well Known Member
I think the 200RV is the quietest and smoothest prop I have ever flown behind. My test pilot who has flown dozens of RVs says that it is his favorite ever. He feels it makes better thrust than the Hartzell.

When you hear other planes in the pattern you hear a lot of prop noise. With the Whirl Wind prop all you hear is the exhaust. It seems to waste less energy making noise than other props.

It also makes less noise transitioning through the air pockets too.

I haven't flown it long, but I really like this prop.

Hans

Useless me too reply.

I've been flying behind my 200RV for 2 months and about 45 hours. It's the only prop I've had on the plane, but it performs very well, and is very smooth and quiet. I'm really happy with the prop. These are of course qualitative comments and virtually useless.

FWIW, my RV-8A is faster than Van's published numbers and I still don't have the upper intersection fairings on the main gear.

Yep

You guys are finding out what others have known for a long time. Now, get it dynamically balanced and feel how smooth it is. I'm not surprised by the increased numbers in the 8.

For me in my 7, the sweet spot for speed and economy is 2450 RPM and 24". Or, at altitude, 2450 and WOT.

I'm also in the group by for my new project.

You guys are finding out what others have known for a long time. Now, get it dynamically balanced and feel how smooth it is. I'm not surprised by the increased numbers in the 8.

For me in my 7, the sweet spot for speed and economy is 2450 RPM and 24". Or, at altitude, 2450 and WOT.

I'm also in the group by for my new project.

Okay, I'll bite: What is your true airspeed at at what fuel burn at 2450/24?

Hans

Weight

Guys,

I know this is OT, but with the ww200RV being so much lighter, can I mount the battery forward in my -8 and save the weight of the long cables?

I'm a pretty big guy and saving weight this way is much easier than dieting! :D:D:D

Guys,

I know this is OT, but with the ww200RV being so much lighter, can I mount the battery forward in my -8 and save the weight of the long cables?

I'm a pretty big guy and saving weight this way is much easier than dieting! :D:D:D

You CAN do anything you want, but depending on what engine you are running, what battery you are planning, where other equipment is placed would tell whether it's a good idea or not...

I wouldn't move a Gill G-35 battery to the front of and airplane, but a P680 might be ok, especially with a parallel valve. What else are you running?

Forward mounted PC680

I got my 8 with a very light Prince fixed pitch prop and a regular aircraft battery on the firewall. I have the angle valve IO360 A1B 200 HP engine. With the 200RV with spinner weighing in at 38 lbs. the difference with my Prince prop, spacer, long bolts was about 17 lbs. Add to that the 4 lbs of prop governor and the oil line my front end weight went up 21 pounds. I also changed the battery to the PC680 which was 8 lbs lighter so I ended up 13 lbs heavier. While my airplane weighed in within the CG envelope, I did find the stick forces heavier during flare and it made aerobatics heavier but it was all completely manageable. I could still fly hands off approaches with full nose up trim, but just barely. When flying solo now, I put 25 lbs of ballast in the aft baggage compartment and I am just about in the center of the envelope. Much nicer handling but with the penalty of added weight.
Like Guy says, packing for a long trip with the wife is a no brainer.

To get back to the thread, I love my WW200RV. I cruise at WOT and 2300 when altitude permits, LOP, get 158 knots on 8.3 gph almost religiously. If I go higher, say 9500 I get the same speed and burn about 7.9 gph. Running WOT rich of peak I get 168-170s knot but at 10.3 gph. For me if I'm not fighting a headwind I will take the speed penalty and save the fuel.

Just my 02 cents worth.

Last edited:
Guys,

It depends on your mission profile. This is a decision you definitely need to make for yourself.

I have a parallel valve engine, a WW200RV prop, and put my PC680 battery in the forward baggage well. I'm towards the front of the envelope solo, and need a touch of aft stick on final, even with full nose up trim. Aerobatic stick forces are a bit higher, but no problem. The up side is that I can put my wife and a bunch of baggage in the back of the plane and still be forward of the aft cg. Only you can weigh what is more important to you. Being able to travel with two people and camping gear was important to me.

Guy