David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Ok, so not RV related, but I figure some radio control heads out there might find this facinating:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/200mph-radio-controlled-jet-188821.php

The thing even has retractable gear. I looked up the jet turbine (JetCat P80)....you to can have 15lbs of thrust @ 117,000 RPM for $3,195 (list). Some specs:

Weight: 2.9 LB, incl. starter
Diameter: 4.4 inches
RPM Range: 35,000 - 118,000
Exhaust gas temp.: 580?C -690?C
Fuel consumption: 9 oz per/min at full power
Fuel: Jet A1, 1-K kerosene
Lubrication: approximately 5% synthetic Oil in the fuel
Maintenance interval: 25 hours

I wonder if/when the owner will ever install a wireless camera for real-time viewing.

I can see it now, a flight of 1.01 (An RV w/ one of these flying wingman). Just out of curiosity, what would the FAA regs say about this?

/\/elson
RV-7A
Austin, TX

These have been around a little while. At least since I switched from RC to RV in 1996. I never cared much for the jets. But giant scale T-6, F-1 and Unlimited racing was a blast!

I know of at least one guy at our airport that flies his 1/3 scale J-3 in formation with a full-size J-3 (from the passenger seat) .... at least that's what I've heard !

RC Jets

Take a look at bvmjets.com if you want an update on the current state of RC Jets. Things have come a long way and these planes are quite sophisticated now. Auto start turbine engines, GPS speed sensors, ECU turbine control, gyro oscillation dampening and the "standard" retractable gear, pneumatic brakes, flaps, speed brakes are pretty much the norm on most planes. Of course the price has climbed on your average jet too. $10,000 is not an unusual amount to spend on one of these hotrods, and there are a bunch of guys who spend twice that on the big scale birds like the BVM F-100.

If any of you guys are within striking distance of Sanford Maine and would like to see a wide variety of RC jets in action, please join us on September 8 -10 for the Maine Jet Rally. I have hosted this event for the last 8 years and am looking forward to another great year.

P.S. -- I own the jet referred to in the link (or rather the same model). 200 mph is pushing it a bit for that airframe/engine combo.

P.P.S. -- There are several good movies on-line that were taken from onboard cameras in similar aircraft. I will try to find some for you. Beyond visual range flight with RC planes is not permitted.

Last edited:
jet glider

I have seen in-cockpit and external video of Bob Carlton's show. It is a spectacular show. I would love to fly that sailplane.

That thing really hauls. I was at the Top Gun R/C scale event in the early 90's and saw the first flight on US soil of a turbine powered Byron F-16 (or at least they said it was the first time.) It ended up in the trees after flaming out. Inlet ducting needed work. Still, it was impressive and ushered in a whole new era in R/C aeromodeling. Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore! When my R/C ships starting costing a coupla grand (giant scale IMAC), my wife said "whoa wait a minute, why don't you build something we can actually GET INTO and GO SOMEWHERE??

And, the rest is history. :D

Now they're putting the turbines in R/C helicopters. They don't go 200 mph but then again how many REAL helicopters can? They sound way cool (loud) too.

Turbines

Turbines have really evolved. The first model turbine to fly was in here in PHX in 1987. I wrote the article for RC Modeler. At that time, the builder was offered over $100K for the engine. He truly hoped that the turbines would not reach the common man because of the scenario of people having more money than ability. Soooooo true.

In Mesa AZ every November there is a Jet rally. Radar guns were used for a while with several jets reaching 250 mph. The Radar guns are no longer used in the interest of safety.

Turbine helicopters are actually very quiet. There are a couple of companies now working on a turbo prop. I'm thinking a scale model of a turbine Lancair.

The first known human piloted airplane to use model turbines is the Qriqui (sp). It used two turbine engines mounted on pedestals on the forward fuselage. I quess this could be a great resume builder!!!!

jet powered cri-cri

RV7Guy said:
The first known human piloted airplane to use model turbines is the Qriqui (sp). It used two turbine engines mounted on pedestals on the forward fuselage. I quess this could be a great resume builder!!!!
Here are some pictures: http://www.amtjets.com/gallery_real_plain.html

cri_cri_5_gallery.jpg

Those crazy French guys!

Ultimate R/C eight engine B-52

If you guys want to see something truly amazing go to the site below. On the home page scroll down a little to "Videos" and click on "Radio Control". Then when on that page click on B-52 Test Flight/ The R/C Version. The wing span on that plane has to be at least twenty feet. I can't imagine what the liability insurance cost must be. There's also a Concord that looks very realistic and a quite large F-14 Tomcat. The sad part is that there's also a video of the same B-52 crashing and burning in a field which is very similar to the real crash of a 52 in the Northwest and few years back which I think is also somewhere on the site. There's hours worth of amazing video's so be prepared to get stuck sitting for a while. Or not.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm#GENERAL AVIATION

NYTOM