wbecker

I have a chance to buy a nice RV 6 with the angled valve 200 HP Lyc. IO360.
I don't think this is an approved engine, any opinions on this engine in an RV?
BB

It's a heavier engine. And people have installed them in 6's. moving the battery towards the back can help compensate for the weight.

heavy

It is heavier, so it eats into the useful load.
It is heavier and more powerful and works on the engine mount and rudder skins.
It is a tighter fit in the cowling.
I once saw a beautiful RV-6 with a 200hp 0-360 with a wood prop, come to find out, the engine had a solid crank. So be sure to "see" the entire package.
The RV-6 is a wonderful airplane!

200 hp in a 6

We put a I0 360 200 hp in our 6 and have been happy with it.The plane weight was 1069 with a simple panel Oregon areo seats constant speed.We flight plan 175 kts.with a fuel burn of 8 per hour.The plane does great in the Idaho Backcountry.Would do it the same if doing it again

200HP RV6

I have a 200HP RV6 using a RV7 cowling and air induction system that is working well. I am using a wood prop to control the weight a bit and still climb to the heavens with great abandon. 18,000 ft is no problem, just not enough heater.

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but this info might help out the original poster as well.
I'm looking at changing the 320 to a 360 on my 6a and have a line on a 180 hp A1D and a 200 hp C1C for about the same $. I realize the C1C is a rear sump so taking the extra work of the installation out of the equation and looking only at the hp/wight is the extra 20 hp worth the extra 30 something lbs? Is most of that weight the fuel injection components vs. the carb or are the engine internals that much different?
Thx!

I'm looking at changing the 320 to a 360 on my 6a and have a line on a 180 hp A1D and a 200 hp C1C for about the same $. I realize the C1C is a rear sump so taking the extra work of the installation out of the equation and looking only at the hp/wight is the extra 20 hp worth the extra 30 something lbs? Is most of that weight the fuel injection components vs. the carb or are the engine internals that much different?
Thx!

The C1C also has counter weights attached to the crank. I can't remember exactly but I think those add up around 8 or 10 lbs.

WOW! That is teriffic

We put a I0 360 200 hp in our 6 and have been happy with it.The plane weight was 1069 with a simple panel Oregon areo seats constant speed.We flight plan 175 kts.with a fuel burn of 8 per hour.The plane does great in the Idaho Backcountry.Would do it the same if doing it again

I have a RV-6A with an O-360-A1A 180hp. Traveling I use 10 GPH at 2450 rpm leaned ROP ~100 degrees. Racing in SARL cross country races I burn about 14 GPH, at 2720 RPM, leaned for best speed. As far as the 20HP difference, it is significant. I have never been beaten by a 320 cu in 160 HP engine - not even close, but I have to plan and fly very well in my modified for speed RV-6A to beat any 200 HP RV. It does happen but the 200 HP is definitely faster and I lust for it.

Bob Axsom

Need a sump?

One thing I considered when trying to decide was that the 180 can comfortably use premium mogas, while the 200's higher compression gave me more concern. If you intend to always use avgas, the higher compression, fuel injection & better port arrangement of the 200 makes it a measurably more efficient engine.

By the way, if you decide on the C series motor, I've got an A series rear induction sump that's been converted to forward facing induction. The A series sumps should fit Van's motor mounts without modification to the mount; the C series have the rear tubes so far back that they interfere with the mount (except on the -8). If you're interested, PM me or email to [email protected].

Charlie