Gandalf

Well Known Member
I am just starting the fuselage and I am wondering if I need to prime the F1204 center section assembly? The large aluminum block in particular.

Also, the CCR-264SS-3-2 pull rivet seems to break off too soon using the power rivet tool. I had to drill them out and reset them using a hand tool. Even if I use a hand rivet puller I am not completely satisfied with the "tightness" of the riveting. Anyone else encountered this concern?

Thanks,
Jeff

Yeah, constantly. A platenut will still rattle around after a pair of those rivets are pulled. At first I would use a backup piece and pound them a bit, finally gave up and just let them flop. All they do is keep it from turning, and I have never had one shear off the rivets when tightening a screw. Just seems to be the nature of the beasts.

If you put a screw in the platenut and screw them tight and thereafter rivet the CCR rivets with a hand riveter you'll get a much better result, they will not rattle.

OK. Glad to hear that I am not alone in this problem with the pull rivets. So I can use a screw to pre-tension the nut plate, buck rivet the nut plate, or accept an occasional loose nut :) plate.

Did anyone feel the need to prime the large aluminum bar in the center section? Since it has already been riveted to the face plate, my assumption is that there is no need to prime this "aluminum bar". Besides, it is so huge and visible I don't see were it could corrode to the point of failure.

Jeff

I believe the heavy center-section aluminum channel is anodized. No further protective coating is required.

Prime it.

I primed it. Maybe it was overkill but I also painted it with interior paint as carpet will not cover it.