Christopher Murphy

Well Known Member
When my airplane was inspected and signed off it had no flight handbook or operators manual. All limitations were marked or placarded IAW the rules at that time. If it was licensed that way I am not required to have an operators manual.. is that correct?

Also, a friend who is a CFI and qualified RV pilot, under the insurance requirements, was asking if he could check out an owner in his newly flown RV ( owner is a competent pilot but need 5 hours for the insurance company) during the test period. Does a CFI checking out the owner for insurance qualify as required crew?

Chris M

When my airplane was inspected and signed off it had no flight handbook or operators manual. All limitations were marked or placarded IAW the rules at that time. If it was licensed that way I am not required to have an operators manual.. is that correct?

As long as you have the "operating limitations" on board, which you are required to have, you are not required to have a flight handbook or operators manual.

Also, a friend who is a CFI and qualified RV pilot, under the insurance requirements, was asking if he could check out an owner in his newly flown RV ( owner is a competent pilot but need 5 hours for the insurance company) during the test period. Does a CFI checking out the owner for insurance qualify as required crew?

NO! The FAA has determined that there is NO circumstance where 2 people are required to fly our type of aircraft. Some FSDOs have said it is OK, but if you check with FAA at Oklahoma City, they will tell you otherwise.

Chris M

Extra wording added to comply with posting rule.

Last edited:
I don't believe for "insurance qualifying" will meet the requirement for carrying a crew during phase I. The only crew that can be carried legally during phase I are those who are required for the safe operating and testing of the aircraft. When I got my certificate, the FAA was very clear as who I could possibly take with me during phase I and who I could not.

Mehrdad
RV7A - IO360M1B