WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
Rob (iceb52!) recently posted in the primer section about a product from eastwood that uses a special two-chamber spray can. The can is activated and the two components mixed prior to painting. While handy for primer, this is also available in matte and gloss clear.

This looks like it has great potential. I am getting ready to paint my panel at the moment. After labeling I want to coat with matte or satin clear. Yesterday I went to the paint store. The clear isn't expensive, but the matting agent only comes in quart cans at almost $70 a pop!. I could use a different clear, but then I would have to buy a different catalyst as well, so no real savings.

Since I already have the color and catalyst for my panel (from paning the interior) I am looking at $30 (quart clear) + $70 (quart matting) = $100 just to clear my panel.

If I can buy a $20 can of 2K Clear that is a great savings for just doing the panel!

Just something I thought the broader group should know about since we don't all frequent the primer wars section.

http://www.eastwood.com/2k-aero-spray-matte-clear.html

Thanks for the tip , I can use that in my Auto Body shop for small items like Outside mirror's . Materials are Very Expensive today !

Thanks for the tip , I can use that in my Auto Body shop for small items like Outside mirror's . Materials are Very Expensive today !

Keep in mind though, that once mixed it has a 48 hours pot life. More of a savings if you are doing a small part that would otherwise required you buy new materials that aren't used in the shop normally.

If I was doing the entire interior in a Matte finish it would make sense to buy the $70 quart, but I am only doing the panel that way so there would be a lot of waste.

2 part rattle cans

There was a company at Oshkosh that would mix up two part paints for you and put them in a rattle can for small batches like you are doing. I will look at my info at home and get back to you.

My local auto paint supply will mix a two part paint and put it in a rattle can.
Again limited shelf life, but I have had it work well for occasional small parts.
Do not remember the cost, was not cheep.
May be worth looking into and I like dealing local when possible.

For a small job, this may be good but with the HVLP guns costing so little and working so well I wonder if it is worth it. The gun allows for pressure changes and with different tips, so many options. The disposable cups make clean up a snap too. I hardly ever use rattle cans so I will have to find some of this and give it a try. Sometimes I get pretty stuck in my own ways and are not willing to try something new. I will have to find some and give it a shot.
Thanks for the idea.

We have had 2 products like this in the UK.

First one was by MIPA, a German company and you punched the pin on the bottom and it activated the 2 pack. I have had one last a week and still be OK, though as suggested, it needs using in a couple of days.

I have also been trialling a non dating 2 pack rattle can in clearcoat only. The products are mixed anaerobically and will stay active until sprayed.

Both are good products, both have the drawbacks associated with rattle cans i.e. the spray pattern quality is never as good as a gun, but for small work and panels, they have been good.

You need to ask around, these products are developing all the time.

2 part rattle can update

As I promised, went home and looked through my Osh stuff. The company was APS Tower Paint Company, Inc. located in Appleton, WI. 800 779 6520 or www.apstowerpaint.com. Said they will mix anything you need in spray cans, I thought it was a good idea for small batches.

Dues paid 2013
RV 8A 122 hours