Auburntsts

Well Known Member
OK,
For you instrument rated RVers out there who routinely file and fly IFR, if you were building a new panel today with a 2-screen EFIS (G3X in my case) multiple GPS's and at least a 430 and or 650, would you add a 2nd NAV/COM or just a COM?

I was originally planning for only one NAV/COM (a 430W) and an SL40 for a 2nd COM. I also have an old KX99 handheld that works just fine as an emergency backup. However, the rescent published GPS outage in the South and the potential 4G network jamming issues have put doubts in my mind as if this is a solid plan. But since I'm not instrument rated (plan to be in the future once my -10 is flying), I don't know if I'm really worrying about nothing. I get that it's all about the level of risk I'm willing to assume, but without having an IR it's difficult for me to distinguish the lines between moderate, high, and deadman flying levels of risk. What say you?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Todd,

You will get lot's of opinions about this. I think it really depends on your budget. If you have the $$ I would go with the new Garmin units and perhaps a SL30. The SL30 really is pretty sweet. It acts like 2 NAVs. and 2 Comms. That's what I have and don't feel the need to add another.

2 nav/comms

Todd, I have the setup your describing and I just earned my instrument rating in my 7A. My GRT EFIS coupled with the 240 audio panel, 430-SL40
Is an easy to use setup for IFR. I enjoy the features 2 comms offer. Having two NAV's is not necessary with the GRT/GPS as it operates in synthetic approach mode as a back up. Your proposed G3X should do about the same.
What your suggesting is all you could ask for, and will provide all the functionality and SA your looking for.

Tad Sargent

With the dual-screen G3X and the 430, you already have three GPS receivers, any of which Can get you to a runway in an emergency. If the entire GPS system goes away (for you), you should have a solid backup in the 430 with VOR/LOC/ILS- and don't forget, you can always get radar vectors. as another level of backup (yeah, I know, there are parts of the country you can't get ATC radar coverage....but the RV has enough speed and range that you can probably reach somewhere that does...).

If money is no object, then why not put in an SL-30? But for my risk trade space, it isn't necessary - we went for an SL-40 in the -3.

Oh, one MINOR thing to consider is that if you have a 430 and an SL-30, you'll be sharing the NAV antenna three ways - make sure it is a good one that will give adequate signal margin, or your primary VHF NAV might be degraded.

Paul

If money is no object, then why not put in an SL-30? But for my risk trade space, it isn't necessary - Paul

This would be also my recommendation. In reality the only time you will be using the VOR is when you are doing a ILS approach or when your GPS is dead which you have redundant system.

If budget is a constrain, I would think the extra $$$ for a SL30 could be spent on other instrument that can add much more value then a second NAV. For me a set of redundant set of steam gauges that is fully independent of the EIFS & electrical system was a must and still believe so ever so strongly.

Nav/Com

This is fasinating seeing that a few hours ago I gave Stein the go ahead to cut and build my panel :eek:

I am going with two GRT HS HX 8.4's, a 430W, and a SL-30. I felt the need for backup in all three areas, GPS, VOR, and COM. This is all in addition to dual AHRS and dual power supplies. Now, if I could only figure out how to have a back up for that thing spinning on the front :D

Van's?

Oh, one MINOR thing to consider is that if you have a 430 and an SL-30, you'll be sharing the NAV antenna three ways - make sure it is a good one that will give adequate signal margin, or your primary VHF NAV might be degraded.

Paul

...or put a NAV antenna in each wingtip, they are quite inexpensive...:)

Canadian Regs

In Canada, having a single GPS/Nav/Comm is not legal for IFR. We need a backup Nav unit that will be useful in the area your flight is taking place. Eg. If you are flying way up north, a GPS and a ADF would suffice. In the southern half of Canada, having dual Nav/Comms and possibly a GPS is quite common.

I'm not building a IFR RV. But if I was, I would want a 430 and a SL30, or dual SL30s as a minimum.

Depends

I'd carefully check the FAA regs on that. Down under (our regs are generally based on FAA, though not always identical), someone flying a light aircraft in private operations would require either 2 radio navaids, or 1 TSO'd GNSS, for IFR flight in controlled airspace, but only a single navaid (either radio, or TSO'd GNSS) for IFR flight in uncontrolled airspace.

However the carriage of a single versus dual navaids can affect your alternate minima if you're flying somewhere you need to shoot an instrument approach at.

I'd install 2 x nav/coms as recommended by a couple of readers above. ILS's are great, but sliding down one in the gloop with only one nav/com would make me nervous. I personally don't believe in "light IFR". There's "IFR", and there's "not IFR". Redundancy for enroute and approach is important for IFR flight so you don't end up in the "hey, what's that mountain goat doing way up here in this cloud?" situation.

Just my two cents worth! :)