rvaitor87

Well Known Member
Hey Y'all;

I am now to the point in my building, (90% done, 90% to go):rolleyes: where I need to decide what prop I'm going to use. I have decided on a three blade, but after calling Ed Sterba, he tells me that he doesn't make them.:( So, now I am on a quest to find a good three blade prop, here's the kicker, made from wood. Theres just something about a wood prop that gets my heart pumpin, So if anyone knows of a good prop maker, please let me know.

Defined "from wood". You want to see the wood grain or the core needs to be from wood. Catto makes a great prop that has a wood core and is re-enforced with composites. However you cant see the wood grain.

If wood lights your burner check out Performance Props. Clark Lydic sold the company to a guy on this forum, he was here not long ago.

I had a 3 blade Performance with a previous airplane, looked like a piece of furniture and performed well.

We Make Three Blades!

Check out my web site.
www.PerformancePropellersUSA.com
There are a few photos of Three Blade Propellers and pricing.
Call anytime.
Here is one I crafted for a T-18
HPIM1188.jpg

Last edited:
With more blades you can reduce the diameter and have less high Mach tip loss so you get better efficiency. You will also have higher static thrust and better ROC. Just make sure whichever prop you obtain continues the airfoil shape all the way into the spinner and then use adhesive-backed foam around the blade to seal it to the spinner all the way around. If the prop has a clunky trapezoidal shape in the root it will be less efficient! You can see this on propellers by a triangular flat area on the front and back of the blade just outside of the spinner. Bad juju!

2 vs 3

I have flown with two different two blade props and a three blade on my -4. the first two blade was an Aymar Demuth wood, and performance wise it was great. However, one prop tip departed one day and the performance was not so good after that.

The other two props were Catto. The three blade has a sightly slower top end speed, about 3 mph. I think the main reason for this is that there is one more blade that has drag. It does have the advantage of being able to maintain higher power settings (RPM) in rain without tip damage due to the smaller diameter. The three blade is slightly smoother, and climbs a little better.

I've had customers running both a Performance (Clark vintage) prop and Catto. Both are excellent, and I'd be hard pressed to say one is better than the other. If you want wood grain, Performance is the ticket.

I just flew my first flight, so I don't have a lot of feedback regarding mine, but have flown in several RV's with Catto Props and you can't go wrong. Balanced, smooth, and perform well!