YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
I am working on initial fitting and rigging of my ailerons and have two questions. First off, the outboard aileron brackets are not quite square, they appear bent slightly inward. I have heard this is common. The aileron fits fine anyways, so I am wondering if I should bother trying to straighten it. I can't think of a safe way to bend a piece that thick out while it's attached to the wing anyways.

Secondly, rather than the stock aileron stops, I went with 7/8" delrin rod on the hinge bracket, as per Smitty's website (you rock, btw, I use your site as much as the the actual plans...). Some reading now suggests that this may still not be large enough and allow too much up travel. It appears that way to me as well. Are there any rv-9ers that have successfully used this method, and if so, what size rod did you use? I realize this can probably be left till final rigging, but I hate putting things off that I could deal with now, especially as a wait a few more weeks for the fuse to get here.

Thanks

Chris

I did the delrin rod spacers on my -9A, along with putting the normal stops on the bracket as specified in the plans. With the 7/8" diameter rod both stops bottom out simultaneously.