Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Avgas prices are finally falling! I filled up at Brazoria County (KLBX) a couple times this week (and just again this morning), and the self-serve price is less than three bucks for the first time in a year. :)

(The maddening part is that if they can drop the price by $1.00 per gallon in only three weeks, you have got to believe that we were getting pretty badly soaked at the higher price.) :mad:

I think that KLBX flows a fair amount if fuel in a week, so they are probably taking new shipments and can react quicker than the small municipals that are still having to charge a high price cause that is what they paid for the tanker load of fuel a month or two ago....but maybe things are finally getting better, just in time for some fall trips (LOE for one...)!

So what's the lowest anyone has seen in the past week?

Paul

Gas Prices

Dittos, great to see the prices falling. Today was airport day at my home field and fuel was being served at the bargain rate of $4.20. A 40nm flight and gas can be had for $3.39. Do any of you ever notice that when the news says that gas is going up the prices on the pumps change instantly, but when they fall the fuelers seem to think that they need to sell their gas at the higher price until they unload it all? This drives me nuts! Can't wait till gas in Nor Cal drops below $3.

Bryan

Congressional Hearing needed

I think we need to get a congressional hearing underway about the sharp drop in fuel prices. :D

BTW it is still 3.52 here at FTG

Outback Fuel

Aussie city price AU$1.60/ litre = US$4.60

Aussie Outback Price AU$2.00/litre = US$5.70

Pays to have tip tanks.
Pete.

lowest price in Oregon

and that is ANYwhere in Oregon is 3.70

Think I might ask the question of the Oreon Dept of aviation why we're being gouged?

Frank

We're still getting hosed in the SE. Gulfcoast prices today were all around $4.50. Most places higher than that.

In western Washington fuel is still about $4.30-4.50. If it was $2.70 I think I'd fly around firewalled for a few hours :)

Here is Arkansas (HRO) the price dropped from $4.60 last week to $3.90 this week. They act like they are now giving it away. :mad:

Sherman, TX (SWI) is hot!!

Word must be out about Sherman TX (SWI). $2.70/gal. I flew in at 11:00 this morning and there were two aircraft ahead of me. By the time I refueled, five more had shown up. Everything from RV-6 to T-6.

Chris

fuel price

In Graham, TX last, week $3.80. The guy was applogetic and said he had bought high, just before the drop. Rusidoso, NM was NOT embarised to get $4.80 or something? I got great service though!
If we want a cheep hobby there is horse shoes. Really,,,,, there is a following,,,,,,, they go all over to compete! Tow RVs and all that,??,,,
I think I will pay for AV Gas and GRINNNNN !!! RV airplanes are too much fun!! Glad to be on board.

Last edited:
In yakima Wa. it's still $4.86 for selfserve, $5.12 for full serve. (probly need to pay for the gas they bought) I'm not flying anything right now, so it aint no thang. Auto gas is down to $2.65 tho. I heard it should be 2 bucks by thanksgiving. ...and that's my .02

Last edited:
Sherman (SWI) $2.65 now

this morning. Lovin' it! The guy at the maintenance shop told me that the city adds .25 to whatever they buy it off the truck for. Hmmmmm... $2.65, so they must be buying it for $2.40!

How are all these other airports selling it for $4 PLUS! Are they buying from a different truck?

More cheap SE gas

Just bought 100LL from Picayune (33nm NE of New Oleans) for $2.99. Not as cheap as Elba, but I'll take it. Still hovering close to $5 at my home airport, PQL.

I flew up to Minneapolis/St. Paul from Houston yesterday, and filled up at Clay County, MO (NE of Kansas City) for $3.15 - beautiful facility - everythign looks really new! I haven't filled up here in Minnesota yet, but I think I saw the self-serve price as I taxied by as $3.40 or something - a lot better than it has been! I might have to stop in Sherman on the way back in to Texas however!

Once again, I made it from Houston to Minneapolis in about five and a half hours - what a great flying machine! Doing family things this weekend, and hope to visit around the state for a few days after that. Great weather, nice color in the trees - hard to beat...

Paul

AVGAS and Auto fuel

The closest thing to Chattanooga with cheap AVGAS are the airports at Winchester (KBGF) and Shelbyville(KSYI), Tennessee at $3.09 at both locations. If you mention AIRNAV.COM at the Shelbyville airport, they give an additional 10-cent per gallon discount ($2.99).

As for auto fuel prices, just across the state line in Georgia, the price for unleaded regular is $1.97 per gallon.

Tomorrow is the open house at Collegedale Airport (3M3), where the price is still at $3.67, but my tanks are still full for now. Flying over there is about 12 minutes each way from my home field near Chickamauga, Georgia.

As for the low price at Sherman, Texas -- I have been watching that at $2.65 for 100LL and thinking about LOE6. I can fly from home to KSWI departing here with full fuel. The round trip from Chattanooga to LOE5 is less that 100 gallons of AVGAS. It sure is tempting.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ
Hobbs = 207.3 hours (It is time to fly some more!)