HSRVbuilder

I'm New Here
Hi... my name is Kevin Shaffer. I am a senior at the Jennings Co. High School in North Vernon, IN. I and some other engineering students are working with Bob Kelly on an RV-12 build. I always have loved flight. I am a Vol. firefighter in my area and am also becoming a student pilot. I love to do mission trips. Independantly, I build and fly modle planes, helicopters, and rockets. Kevin Shaffer

They say the first step is to admit you've got a problem, and you've done that!

Welcome to VAF Kevin, we'll help you deal with your aviation disease!

Kavin, Welcome to VAF!

Bob Kelly mentioned in an earlier post that a member of the "build team" would soon be joining the VAF community. Congratulations on your appointment! Everyone here is excited about your project and we're here to help. There aren't any dumb questions in our community (excepting possibly some of mine), so don't be bashful about asking. Keep us posted on the team's progress... we love pictures!

Welcome aboard!

Very cool Kevin. I too had the opportunity to study aviation in high school. We rebuilt a 172. Not as cool as building a RV 12 but still a fantastic experience. Aviation is a rewarding field of study and great way to spend a career. The opportunities are endless. Hopefully you can find your place in it. Bob Kelly's a respected fellow around here and I am sure he'll provide some great guidance. As a senior you are no doubt thinking about college, I know Purdue has a really great aviation program. My friend's daughter is there and she just got her pilot's license a couple of months ago. Mission Aviation Fellowship is a great Christian organization that does aviation missions. You could find a whole lot of fulfillment working with them.

Greetings Kevin,

I too was given the opportunity in my early teens to help rebuild airplanes and learn to fly in them. The men who set up that opportunity gave a lot of their time to make it happen, and it is something that I have always remembered - and carried forth into an aviation career. Some of my fondest memories are of those days spent in a hangar, putting together Piper Cubs. May you enjoy your time as much as we did, and carry what you learn into your life - whether it be in aviation or other pursuits! You never know where something like this might lead.

We look forward to hearing of your endeavors.

Paul

Glad to have you on board, Kevin! Kevin is a super guy, really coming along with his building skills. I am proud to be working with him and the others. He is the one who will be asking questions of this group, and I know you guys will be very helpful, just like you were to me. I'll bet the kids will produce a super airplane!

Bob Kelly