sailvi767

Well Known Member
Considering a bunch of options for a upgrade. Thinking about putting a GTN650 in the panel to replace the KX155 as a first step to spread out the costs before adding the glass. The 155 drives a KI209A CDI. I know the 209A is compatible with the garmin 430 but can't find any info on the 650. Will the 650 work with the 209A? We will be selling the 155 navcom however I can't get a handle on pricing. Any ideas on where to price a 2005 vintage 155 for a quick sale? If the 209a has to be replaced what are they selling for?
Thanks for any inputs!
George

Hi George,

Indeed the GTN will work with the 209A, there is a page in the install manual specifically for it (page E-22). That said, it's basically VOR/LOC/ILS only for the most part (without a relay for and won't be as good as having something like the GI-106A). Anyway, the answer is that it'll work as well as what you have and provide you a lot more functionality in the airplane from an IFR standpoint.

Cheers,
Stein

Since you said there is glass in your future I would NOT buy the Garmin GI-106A since they're going for near $2K, and your future glass can display everything needed.

Thanks for both posts. It sounds like the way to go for the first step is get the GTN installed wired to the 209A. I can sell the 155 to offset a small part of the GTN cost and later sell the 209a if we go all glass. I do have a D10A as the EFIS at the moment and they may pick up some functionality from the GTN 650 the 209 might not provide. Now the question is should we wait and see if there are any specials on the GTN's at the big spring flyins. Hoping I can actually make Sun and Fun this year. It appears to be a great unit but the price is not for the faint of heart!!!!

George