decathlon737

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Hey Guys,
As of Friday 9/19/2008 at approximately 12:30pm, N147RV became an official airplane. After The DAR crawled through, up, down, and across my airplane he simply said, (beautiful, I can't find any squawks so I'll have to make one up to show I'm doing my job :D. ) As most of you know that have flown an RV, it's hard to describe the feeling you get the first time you take off in your own RV. Well now I know what your talking about so I'll leave it at that. I started flying about 4:00 pm FRI. after I got everything buttoned back up. Saturday at about 5:00 pm I had to ground it temporarily to do a 10 hour oil change;). So far I've had no runs, drips or errors, no cowl chaffing, everything seems to be doing fine. Wings are very neutral with full fuel aboard, but I do have to hold very slight right rudder at cruise, nothing an Avery trim tab won't fix. This is the 5th plane I've either built or restored for myself but is the most rewarding by far. Trying to get the 40 flown off asap but fuel at $5.86 a gallon is very trying. I would like to thank DR's list for all the info and hints through the build, you guys are great.
P9150001.JPG

1st%20landing.jpeg

now I get it

That explains the blue / grey / yellow streak that rustled the leaves at our strip on Friday night! Looks good!

See you soon.

Bill,

She looks very nice. Congrats!

Now you are going to have to change your screen name. How about RV8-737?

Congratulations Bill!!!

Can't wait to see the finished product! If the RV9 in your shop is any indication of how nice your -8 looks, then it must be great looking! Maybe I'll get to check it out on Oct 18.

CDE

flying off hours--

Way to go Bill-- I guess you can have the hours flown off in less than a week if you keep going, and only $2500 in fuel! Ouch! :D:D (RV grin)

Thanks for all the accolades guys, keep pounding those rivets, it will be tremendously rewarding in the end. That's all for now, gotta go flying :D.

Way to go Bill! What a beautiful plane you've got. I made my first flight last December and I still only have 21 hrs...man does that 42 gals x $5+ per gal hurt!!!!!

Gathering of Mustangs

Man - we should really get the "Mustang" RV-8's together for a picture - and a BBQ sandwich. How about October 18 at Rhodes' in Taylorsville, GA?
All you Mustang pilots out there - come on. I've got a reserved parking spot for you.

Slainte

Pronounced sla..n te means good luck and well done in irish or gaelic as we say it. nothing quiet that first takeoff.

cyril

Congrats

Congrats, Bill

Where is Taylorsville? I'm in Cornelia, Habersham Co., GA. KAJR. Northeast GA. I'll be back from LOE Fly In at Santa Teresa, New Mexico by the 18th. My RV is pretty much pre-invasion Mustang livery.

Would love to meet you guys.

We have the Runway Fish House about a quarter mile from KAJR. All you can eat---Fri-Sat Nite 5-8, and Sun 11-2. We have a lot of people fly in for that.

If your Flight Test Area includes KAJR, stop by. I'm usually around the airport from mid morning to late afternoon. Give me a call at 770-519-4999 and I'lll be sure to be here.

Mannan,
Taylorsville is about 8-10 miles west of KVPC in Cartersville, The Rhodes bunch always have a great shindig in the fall. Usually a lot of RV's if the weather cooperates. Cary Rhodes (the host) flies a RV 7, his brother Dennis has a RV 9 in my paint shop as we speak. They along with two sons are all part of this list. I'll personally invite you and sure if they monitor this thread will do the same. I don't think Cary would turn away anyone, let alone a RV! :). PM me or one of the Rhodes for info and directions, we could meet up at VPC for the short flight over. Don't think I could stretch Cornelia from Cartersville in a 35 mile radius but phase 1 shouldn't take too long.