80WD

I'm finishing a RV-8A project that I purchased last spring. The engine a O-360
180hp is mounted along with the wiring, fuel lines, exhaust, prop, etc. I do not have the wings attached yet but would like to start the engine to make sure all my sensors are working. Is there any problem running engine with out the wings attached other than I will need to jury rig a small gas container to run the engine for a couple of minutes?

Dennis Winkel

Besides the already appropriate advice, there is more to think about.

1. Your sensors will work. Wire them right, and unless you are unlucky to have a faulty fuel pressure (most likely fault if any) sensor, they will work.

2. Your engine should have a residual preserving oil coating and silica gel plugs. The risk of damage from corrossion as a result of running it and leaving it stand for X months is not worth the few minutes of piston powered pleasure you are longing for.

Go find another plane and start it up for that thrill, and leave your first engine start until the day you first fly it, or the night before. Then if there are loose oil lines etc you can fix them and go fly!

Hope our raining on your parade is not taken too harshly, because we mean well :)

Don't do it!

As one who did not have the patience to wait, I did several run ups on my first RV-8 and although no serious damage occurred I am quite sure I glazed my cylinders in the process. My brand new engine at the time would not get more than 6 hours per quart of oil, a pretty clear indication of glazed cylinders.
I just couldn't wait to hear my creation making noise as well as multiple taxi tests once the wings were on.
On my 10, I started the engine exactly 4 times before taking off for the first flight. 2 starts were of less than 1 minute duration to correct switched ignition coil leads and the other 2 were short tests for oil leaks. None of these included a run up.
You've got good advice, take it.

As one who did not have the patience to wait, I did several run ups on my first RV-8 and although no serious damage occurred I am quite sure I glazed my cylinders in the process. My brand new engine at the time would not get more than 6 hours per quart of oil, a pretty clear indication of glazed cylinders.
I just couldn't wait to hear my creation making noise as well as multiple taxi tests once the wings were on.
On my 10, I started the engine exactly 4 times before taking off for the first flight. 2 starts were of less than 1 minute duration to correct switched ignition coil leads and the other 2 were short tests for oil leaks. None of these included a run up.
You've got good advice, take it.

Sounds like the wise words of wisdom.....wisdom from experience! ;)

Limits on Engine Ground Run

A few years ago at Oshkosh, I spoke with Mahlon at the Mattituck engine booth. Regarding ground testing of a new engine, he mentioned that you wouldn't cause any damage as long as you met ALL of the following conditions:

1) CHT below 350 deg F
2) Oil Temp below 180 deg F
3) Running time no longer than 5 minutes

In separate forum comments, he pointed out that you need to allow adequate cool off time before any subsequent run. "Before proceeding to a next run, you should be able to hold your hand on a rear cylinder head for three to five seconds."

I'm currently installing an IO-360M1B in my RV-8. Assuming that I've interpreted Mahlon's wisdom and experience correctly, my intention is to follow the above in testing my engine.

Any further thoughts or considerations?

shroud over engine

a local ai has a shroud that looks like a big air scoop and a cut down propeller so that you can get more rpms and we break engines in on the ground running at progressively more rpms. also you don't want the wings off but the elevators on or the elevators on a rv-4 get ruined from some harmonic and they get a cress in the skin at least the thin skins do.

off subject

I should have been more specific in my question. What I wanted to know if there would be any structural issues with the fuselage with out having the wings attached. I am well aware the the plane will have to be restrained and safety precautions taken. The engine is a little over mid time and I plan on using it as is.

There is a video somewhere where a guy went taxing around in his airplane (not an RV) that did not have the wings attached. He ended up turning the plane on its sides due to torque. Not cool.

You can verify many of the sensors without the engine running. Your temp gauges should should show the ambient temperature. Apply heat from a hair dryer to each probe individually installed in the engine to verify they are installed in the right cylinder/exhaust. Same with the oil temp gauge. You can gently blow into the manifold pressure sensor to check for operation. I am not aware of an easy way to check for RPMs without connecting a square wave generator (assuming you are going glass).

I am of the camp to leave the engine alone for as long as you can.

Another question

I'm going to take your advice and hold off starting engine until the airplane is assembled. I'm installing an infinity stick grip and would like to know if the wire should exit the front or rear of control stick.