tmillican

Today we began my first condition inspection (the airplane's second). Everything went very smoothly, for the most part.

The only repair that is needed immediately is a broken baffle on the left rear, below the cylinder. The thin metal part that hangs down below the cylinder and has the rod running through it to connect it to the mate on the front side had snapped off at the top. On second thought, I don't think it was actually broken prior to the inspection, as Scott, my A&P, didn't pick up on it during his inspection of the engine compartment. I noticed it after we had washed down the engine with varsol, so I think the act of spraying it probably hit that baffle piece and broke it off. :(

Scott didn't make a big deal out of it, but it looks like a pain in the behind to me. I'll call Van's on Monday, but can anyone confirm that I can order the left half of the rear baffle (which is where it appears to split) and just replace that???

Tomorrow's project is installation of the Smoking Airplanes smoke system!

The left aft part of the baffling is two pieces which then are riveted to the left aft-most side piece. It sounds like you may have to only buy one of the two aft, but you'll probably have to pull the whole back left quadrant (all three pieces)to get at the piece you want to replace. It's doable, but will be a bit of a pain. Each of the parts can be bought separately from Van's if necessary. Good luck.

Today we began my first condition inspection (the airplane's second). Everything went very smoothly, for the most part.

The only repair that is needed immediately is a broken baffle on the left rear, below the cylinder. The thin metal part that hangs down below the cylinder and has the rod running through it to connect it to the mate on the front side had snapped off at the top. On second thought, I don't think it was actually broken prior to the inspection, as Scott, my A&P, didn't pick up on it during his inspection of the engine compartment. I noticed it after we had washed down the engine with varsol, so I think the act of spraying it probably hit that baffle piece and broke it off. :(

Scott didn't make a big deal out of it, but it looks like a pain in the behind to me. I'll call Van's on Monday, but can anyone confirm that I can order the left half of the rear baffle (which is where it appears to split) and just replace that???

Tomorrow's project is installation of the Smoking Airplanes smoke system!

Its unlikely washing the engine broke the baffle, there're a bit more robust than that.

Why not repair the baffle you have now? You just need to rivet a patch or doubler over the break and you are good to go. It probably will be necessary, however, to remove the broken part of the baffle to repair it.

These things happen. :)

Thanks, Sam. I sent your suggestion on to Scott, and left it up to him. He is an A&P but not necessarily a builder (although infinitely more capable than am I).
See my next post for the smoke system we are installing.
Troy

Different place

This is what I did on all the baffles to stop that from happening on my RV 6. http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2_hL3-bbxj8/Sv7AfeYEUrI/AAAAAAAAADY/wCjvkWc4rPk/s912/14112009086.jpg

Good idea on reinforcing the baffle there, but it would not have helped my situation. It broke almost straight across at the top of that curved section.
I received the part from Van's yesterday, so we'll try to get it installed tomorrow. Less than $14 for the part: I love these airplanes!!!! :)