RV7Guy

Well Known Member
One year ago yesterday, (12/23/05), my RV7 N717EE took flight for the first time. With a little bit of pride and even more disbelief, I am down for the first annual. I actually took it out of service a little early so it would be ready for Socal/AZ Laughlin trip on New Years Day. Fortunately, there was nothing major to correct or fix. Originally, I built my own fuel and oil hoses. I decided to order all new and completely fire proof hoses from Precision Hose Technology. Also had a very minor seep in the left tank that good friend Mark Chamberlin fixed for me.

During the 40 hour fly off I spend considerable time doing slow flight and stalls from many attitudes. Safety is paramount. And, knowing from many accident reviews, that the stall spin is the biggie. Everyone get out and practice these!!!!

After the 40 the RV provides the opportunity to travel quickly and efficiently. I certainly have traveled as Dan has or a few of the others, but I have done my share during the first year. Several trips to CA, Denver, NM, South Dakota, Oshkosh, Minnesota, Las Vegas and numerous In State ventures. The Oshkosh trip was great. I made it from the Phx area to Osh in just a little under 8 hours of actual stick time. That is with a head wind most of the way. 1100+ miles, 2 fuel stops, 29 frequency changes and a trouble free arrival.

The feeling of arriving at a destination quickly and rested is great. Especially with the Auto Pilot and XM Radio!!! No traffic to worry about. No Semi's flipped over blocking the road for hours, only the occasional traffic pointed out by ATC. Yeah maybe an occasional weather delay thown in, but what the heck....

I managed to get 170 hours in that first year. I flew 22 passengers, 2 of which will soon invest big $$$$ in our economy. I was down for 10 weeks for painting and didn't fly a lot in the summer. I'm shooting for 225 during this year.

I have several trips planned for 2007. Laughlin, CA several times, LV, Oregon, the Caribbean, South Carolina, Oshkosh, Indiana, South Dakota, Mexico and who knows what else.

What I learned that first year. See above on the bennies of travel. I learned that the ECI IO360 performs flawlessly. The Whirlwind 200RV prop is extremely smooth. I learned how to fix the broken spinner bracket on the 200 RV. The issue is now permanently corrected. I learned that the best piece of equipment I installed was the Garmin 330 S transponder and Garmin 430 combination. The traffic system (TIS) has been a blessing while living and operating in the area of the PHX Class B airspace. The Emag/Pmag system is great and works perfectly.

I learned that a firewall mounted oil cooler doesn't work in the AZ environment. I learned I should buy oil filters by the case. I figured out how to land the tail dragger. I learned that a crosswind landing is not as tough controlling on the ground right after that landing!!

What I would do different if doing again. This is always a great question that I asked to others many times during my build. I would spend less time worrying about a non perfect rivet and move on. I would not paint the interior until EVERYTHING had been fit and then removed. I would not paint anything that would be potentially covered by an interior. Lots of hours wasted. I still would not paint anything grey!!!! I would definitely use the same engine/prop/ignition combination. I would mount the ELT in a more convenient location for service. I would not build a utility box behind the baggage bulkhead. Too much work, limited service. I would not do such an elaborate paint scheme. I would use an all LED light system for POS and Strobes. I used LED Position lights on my plane but conventional strobes. That's all I can think of now.

In closing, the greatest aspect of the RV aircraft is the people. Yeah we can travel around at 200 mph, 8 gph in relative comfort but what is it without the people that make up the RV community? Almost daily we hear of the hopitality and comraderie that RVer's experience when the travel and more importantly if something breaks down. I've experienced the people and wouldn't trade that for any other. I've made life long friends, some I've never met!!!! This is the strength of the RV community. There are too many people to thank for the joy I've experienced with my plane. I do need to mention Robbie Attaway however. Without him I'm not sure I would have finished my plane. He kept me going when I was ready to give up, he built an incredible engine and he has been there when help was needed. I'm not the only one he has helped. Many are in the air because of him. Thanks!!!

Merry Christmas to everyone and may God Bless. Please keep in mind our Military as we enjoy this Holiday season. Without them, we would not enjoy the freedoms we enjoy.

img1430mp8.jpg

Excellent writeup Darwin. Thank you for all the help you provide to the RV community.

Hopefully you can swing by North Georgia on your way to/from South Carolina. We're not that far! Perhaps we can lure you with some of the cheapest gas around ($2.99 at 19A , just 10 mins from our airport).

And I ditto Darwins Christmas greetings, especially to the troops and their families.

Last edited:
I enjoyed that!

I need to talk to you at Laughlin on New Years.

You did a few things I'm disappointed that I didn't do.

Also, you might talk to Gary Sobek. IIRC he is so disappointed in Pmag Emags customer support and field support that he is dumping them for LASAR real soon.

Bad Rivet

Congrats!

Great report Darwin - excellent description of just what owning and flying an RV is all about!

But gee....only 170 hours in your first year? What a slacker.... :p ;)

Merry Christmas!

Paul

Visit to South Carolina

Darwin,

Have a RV at KCEU, Clemson, SC. Should be aable to find you space behind a J3 CUB. I fit the RV behind a Luscomb to one side. Send email if you are going to be in the area. We are about 10 minutes from the second best fuel price, 18A, in Franklin County in Georgia.

Doyce Graham
RV6A N567RV

Sweet!

Darwin,

Has it really been a year...? Wow time really does fly. As I mentioned to you before, you have a very nice plane! Congratulations on your first condition inspection and thanks for all of your great information.

Why throw out hoses?

RV7Guy said:
Originally, I built my own fuel and oil hoses. I decided to order all new and completely fire proof hoses from Precision Hose Technology.

Hi Darwin, Did you build the original hoses from stainless steel braided Aeroquip 601/AE701 hose and Aeroquip fittings as supplied by Vans.

If so why didn't you simply instal firesleeve on them instead of throwing them out.

I'm presuming here that you replaced all the hoses because you lacked confidence in them for some reason. Would that be correct. On the other hand if you pressure tested them according to manufacturers instructions I'm not sure why you would be lacking in confidence.

I'd sure like to know your reasoning.

Regarding the hoses

Captain Avgas said:
I'm presuming here that you replaced all the hoses because you lacked confidence in them for some reason. Would that be correct. On the other hand if you pressure tested them according to manufacturers instructions I'm not sure why you would be lacking in confidence.

I'd sure like to know your reasoning.

I made the hoses from fuel and oil lines from the hot rod shop. They were all the high pressure, high quality stuff. I bought the firesleeve and sleeved the fuel lines. I was comfortable with these but wanted the fully contained fire proof hoses with steel fittings. Also when I moved the oil cooler the oil lines were a little long. I optimized the length with the new hoses. I got great prices on the hoses. The cost to make equivalent hoses would have been very close. Maybe not necessary, but I did it anyway.

Hoses

RV7Guy said:
I made the hoses from fuel and oil lines from the hot rod shop. They were all the high pressure, high quality stuff. I bought the firesleeve and sleeved the fuel lines. I was comfortable with these but wanted the fully contained fire proof hoses with steel fittings. Also when I moved the oil cooler the oil lines were a little long. I optimized the length with the new hoses. I got great prices on the hoses. The cost to make equivalent hoses would have been very close. Maybe not necessary, but I did it anyway.

How much $ for the hoses?

Echo Echo

Nice story... very inspirational, if only I wasn't 8000 miles from my project :( .

Did you pick the tail number yourself? I was curious if you were trying to be funny with "echo" having an "echo" :) . or if it means anything special?

Jeff

Last edited:
RV9A approaching completion

Darwin, thanks for the story & congratulations. Living in Tucson, we mounted our oil cooler in such a way to maximize airflow. Dune buggy experience mandated that.

Any chance you know of someone offering transition training in AZ? Aside from actual cfi training, I'd love to get some more time in a 9 or 7 before first flight and happy to pay for fuel and whatever.

We started construction in June 06 and expect to complete in Jan 07.

Please contact me.

[email protected]

Nice report Darwin, and Merry Christmas. Hope both of us have more time on your next trip through, I would love to get a ride in your 7.

Thanks Darwin, very motivating.

Concur with going all LEDs. I'm currently spending a good portion of my day-job time trying to convince the navy to put a full LED system in one of our aircraft types. Have you seen an LED strobe systems for RV's? I've looked at most of the LED position lights offered, but haven't seen any strobe/anticollision systems that I would put on on my RV. The Whelen LED strobes all look like 28V systems and not very aerodynamic.

Happy Holidays
-s

Right angles

Hi Jeff,

I was looking for numbers and letters with right angles for painting purposes. After a coupla hour search I came up with 717EE. The "echo, echo" flows nicely. I have had ATC call me "7 double E" after initial contact.

jcaplins said:
Nice story... very inspirational, if only I wasn't 8000 miles from my project :( .

Did you pick the tail number yourself? I was curious if you were trying to be funny with "echo" having an "echo" :) . or if it means anything special?

Jeff

RV7Guy said:
I made the hoses from fuel and oil lines from the hot rod shop. They were all the high pressure, high quality stuff. I bought the firesleeve and sleeved the fuel lines.

Darwin, I'm a bit confused. When you say that you "made" the original hoses. Are you saying that you originally bought the hose and fittings separately and fabricated them yourself (ie cut to length and attached the end fittings etc). If so how did you pressure test them.

Local place

Captain Avgas said:
Darwin, I'm a bit confused. When you say that you "made" the original hoses. Are you saying that you originally bought the hose and fittings separately and fabricated them yourself (ie cut to length and attached the end fittings etc). If so how did you pressure test them.

Yep, cut them to size and threaded on the fittings. The biggest fear is the fitting not seating properly. I used tape as guide to make sure the hose didn't 'creep' as the fitting was being threaded on. After completing, I did a pull test, cleaned them out, capped one end and filled them with fuel to test for leaks. When satisified I took them to a local hydraulic shop who pressure tested them for me. The guy kind of laughed when I told him what they were for. He said as long as the fittings were solid they weren't going to be a problem since we don't experience any significant pressures like some of the hot rod race engine stuff. Also said if they were actually used for hydraulic purposes it would be a different hose and fittings.