prkaye

Well Known Member
The HVLP system I'm considering (Fuji Mini Mite 4) has a 1.4mm nozzle or a 1mm nozzle, with no sizes in between. I've been told a 1.4mm nozzle would be too big for Stewart Systems water-borne paint. What about a 1mm nozzle? Would it be too small to do a good job?
I'm really worried about sinking money into an HVLP system only to find it won't give me a good finish with Stewart Systems... even though they say one can be used if you use a longer hose to cool the air... i don't actually know anybody who has tried it.

Phil, the Stewart guys gave a seminar at Oshkosh this year and mentioned that they had just begun to work with a turbine-HVLP manufacturer to develop a system that is set up specifically for their paints. Might be a good idea to call them and ask about this. I'm thinking along the same lines as yourself, but you are further ahead, so I'm hoping you can dig up the answers for me. :)

Not exactly to the point, but here is more data:

I have used a little of their paint, painting the inside of the cockpit. I used the gun they recommended, a Finishline 3, which costs about $150. I followed their directions from the DVD as well as I could. The only problems I had with it were my fault, being new to painting and to their system.

The gun appears to be a pretty good gun, especially for the price. There are a couple gaskets one should order to have on hand as it is easy to lose them when cleaning. The gun uses a 13 mm tip. If you order that gun, note that there is a solvent version and a water base version.

I hope this helps a little.

Hi Phil,
I'm not sure why you would go with a different gun than what they recommend. It makes setup a no-brainer. I'm done painting my RV, and don't need the Finishline 3 anymore. I was going to clean it up and sell it on here (or eBay) with the parts that remain from the DeKups trial kit that I bought (it has everything except the inserts). I paid a little over $200 for the gun and DeKups kit, not including shipping.

I'll sell it all for $125 plus shipping if you're interested. It comes with 2 tips. The 1.3 and the 1.5 (for primer, but I never used it).

I'm not sure why you would go with a different gun than what they recommend.

because that gun isn't compatible with a turbine system. I'd MUCH rather get a turbine, which is small and portable, and runs on 110VAC, then have to get a massive 60gal compressor and run a 240V circuit up to my shop.

I just need to find a Turbine that I know will work. The one I'm looking at has a great price, but I'm just worried the 1mm tip will be too small... hence my question in my opening thread.

because that gun isn't compatible with a turbine system. I'd MUCH rather get a turbine, which is small and portable, and runs on 110VAC, then have to get a massive 60gal compressor and run a 240V circuit up to my shop.

I just need to find a Turbine that I know will work. The one I'm looking at has a great price, but I'm just worried the 1mm tip will be too small... hence my question in my opening thread.

Ah! Sorry, my mistake...I didn't realize the other system you were looking at was a turbine. I didn't see mention of that in the OP. :)

hmmm... still haven't gotten an answer to this.
Maybe instead, someone can explain in general what factors determine the correct needle size? It's my understanding that in general smaller needle sizes allow for better atomization of thinner materials. So if you use a needle that's too big you won't get proper atomization. But what's the trade-off? What's the drawback of using a needle that's too small?

Phil,
Have you talked to the folks at Stewart? I called them a number times mainly to place orders, but they've always answered the phone and were very friendly. Since it would appear that not many folks here have used their top coats I don't think you are going to get the answer you are looking for here on the forum. Best to go to the source IMO.

Ask the people who probably know:

Thanks. Yes I tried that. When I spoke to them on the phone they seemed to be noncommittal about Turbines... saying it should work but you'd have to cool the air with a longer hose. The rest of the conversation was basically to convince me to hook multiple compressors together and use the Fineline gun.
I've emailed them back to try to get more advice on selecting a turbine, but they don't seem to respond to emails. I'm travelling and haven't had a chance to phone them again.
So, back to my general question - what factors are at-play in needle-size selection? What happens if you use a needle that is too small?

Last edited:
I think they are trying to tell you in a very polite and gentle manner that deviating from their recommended method is not a good idea.

Ah... interesting timing, I actually just got a reply from Doug at Stewart!
Here's the relevant points in his reply:

I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE FUJI SYSTEM. THE 1.4 IS AS LARGE AS YOU CAN USE. IF YOU GET THIS SYSTEM I WOULD GET BOTH TIPS AND SPRAY TEST PANELS TO SEE WHICH GIVES THE BEST FINISH. WE HAVE FOUND THAT THE SMALLER TIP SEEMS TO WORK GOOD WITH THE TURBINE SYSTEMS.

WE TESTED THE AXIS WITH A 1.4 AND IT WAS OK BUT WE FELT THAT A SMALLER TIP WOULD BE BETTER. WE ARE WORKING WITH AXIS AND WILL POSSIBLY BE CARRYING THAT SYSTEM SHORTLY.

WE HAVE CUSTOMERS THAT ARE USING TURBINE SYSTEMS WITH GOOD RESULTS. IF YOU ARE NOT IN A GREAT HURRY TO PAINT WE WILL POSSIBLY HAVE SOMETHING THAT WE CAN RECOMMEND ALONG WITH GUN SETTINGS TO GIVE THE DESIRED RESULTS. PLEASE STAY IN TOUCH AND WE WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED.