R

Rex

I've got a 0 time Lycoming O-320 bought in 1990 as part of an RV4 kit, and need to know if there are any service bulletins for it.

I'd also like some advice on anything I should do to prepare it for use.

Inquiries to the Lycoming distributor yielded no results.

First are you sure it is a "O" time engine or is it "O" time since overhaul. Only the manufacturer can "O" time an engine. You'll need the dash number (suffix) if it has one. If the engine was re manufactured in 1990, there's a good chance that the oil pump may need looking into. I believe it is AD 96-09-10. Issued in 1996. Go to the FAA website and search for ADs on your particular engine.

Mel-

This engine was bought new with the kit through Van's. I probably should have said "new" rather than 0 time.
I'll go to the FAA site to see what I can find.

Mel-
What I found at the FAA Website was 2090 references to a search for O-320!

Rex,
I don't know. I went to the FAA AD page, typed in search for O-320 and came up with 38 results.
If you add your suffix, (I suspect your engine is a -D1A if purchased through Van's) the search narrows to 12 items.

Last edited:
Probably the easiest way to go about this one is to just go to your local shop and ask them to do a ad/sb search for you. Might cost a few $$ but it'll probably save you some aggravation.

Use the FAA site...

osxuser said:
Probably the easiest way to go about this one is to just go to your local shop and ask them to do a ad/sb search for you. Might cost a few $$ but it'll probably save you some aggravation.
Why bother... the FAA web site is free, and is the "master copy"

If it is a O-320-D1A, then only four ADs are dated after 1990...

2006-12-07 07/11/2006 ECi cylinder assemblies
2004-10-14 06/25/2004 Crankshaft gear
98-02-08 03/30/1998 Crankshaft
96-09-10 07/15/1996 Oil pump

I even turned them into hotlinks with Doug's nice posting scripts... :)

If you are clever enough to navigate around this site, then the FAA site should be no problem.... :)

AD main site here...

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...e?OpenFrameSet&CFID=11199712&CFTOKEN=32851978

gil in Tucson

Gill,
I think there are more AD's then that! Try searching for O-320 or 320 instead of O-320-D2A only. It will return any ad's with 320 in it.They may not specifically apply, but there are several AD's that aren't on your list.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Maybe I'm using the wrong search location.

From FAA's home page, I selected "Mechanics" at the top right.

At the Mechanics page I typed O-320 in the search window and got 2090 results.

If I select the ADs option in the Mechanics window, then search O-320, I get the 38 results Mel pointed out.

osxuser-

I emailed the closest Lycoming distributor (1 hr. away) requesting this info and received no response.