g zero

Well Known Member
I have a Garmin 196 on my MotorCycle , the other day the trip odometer jumped from 5800 miles to 6700 miles , went to the page that displays the trip / speed details , it showed max speed 670 mph .
What causes this to happen ?

I've had this happen before. Sometimes the GPS signal gets weak and it changes location for a second or two and then comes back. If the bad location is way off, it will interpolate speed and distance as if it were accurate, so you get a big spike in distance and speed.

GPS

It's a BMW GS , I don't think it would go faster than 125 mph if you dropped it out of an airplane ! I used to have a Garmin 5 plus on it ( street version of the Pilot 3 ) . Now the 196 , the speedo accurate , along with all the other stuff .
I reset the trip each rear tire change , 20 or so rear tires , 175,000 miles and still going .
The gps has done this before on the top speed but not the trip meter .

Were you practicing the "Top Gun" high speed motorcycle scene again? ;)

tom_cruise_motorcycle.jpg

I have a Garmin 196 on my MotorCycle , the other day the trip odometer jumped from 5800 miles to 6700 miles , went to the page that displays the trip / speed details , it showed max speed 670 mph .
What causes this to happen ?

Cycle slip. Not the motorcycle kind, the GPS tracking loop kind.

A 1 millisecond cycle slip will cause a jump in position of 300,000 meters for one cycle. If that's averaged in to the computations for speed, I'd see how you could get that high velocity reading. Toss in a few of these over a period of time and that accounts for your odometer reading.