BlackRV7

Well Known Member
WOOHOO, sorry gotta gloat a little over some good news for Black Magic. Just talked with Rhonda at Barrett Precision Engines...see link to the left. They ran my new LYC O-360-A1A roller tappet 9:1 on the dyno last evening, it came in at a fantastic 192 HP!!:eek: It's being crated for shipment today.

As you can see from the picture, they also custom painted the engine in addition to the value added personal touches they perform. Now I just need a front end to put this thing on!!! Anybody got a recently completed front end of a 7 slider..........

engine2nj7.jpg

This picture was taken before the Bendix Mags, no Slicks here, and harness were installed.

I can't say enough about the work they perform at Barrett Precision. We are lucky to have people like Rhonda and Allen on this list. I wish I could go through all they do with porting, crankshaft balancing, triple angle valve cutting, custom paint..........this list goes on. If you are looking to buy a new engine you cannot go wrong with Barrett. In addition to people like us, they do engines for airshow performers, Red Bull Racers, Reno racers. One thing I really like is they do single man jobbing. I think this adds a personal touch to each engine, as the builder, you can't blame anyone else if something is not on correctly......you built it!!

I really don't want to go into all they do custom at their shop, I will leave that for them to answer, suffice to say when I asked them, even after I had placed the order, what they do at their shop, I started making a list on a scrap piece of paper.....one sheet wasn't enough.

I tell you what though, 192 HP out of an O360 with only 9:1's substantiates everything I just said!!

Now back to that front end........anybody got a 7 front end just sitting around............

Thanks Rhonda, Allen and all at Barrett for providing such a great engine, with such a great personal touch and such ease to work with, folks you need to give these people a call!!!!! Absolutely just great people. Heck, it's a bright spot in the day just to call them and talk for awhile..........course they don't make any money that way but still is a pleasure.:)

Last edited:
No fuel injection? I woulda done that, each to their own I guess. Looks pretty, I wonder what our stock O-360 A1A makes on their dyno...?

No fuel injection? I woulda done that, each to their own I guess. Looks pretty, I wonder what our stock O-360 A1A makes on their dyno...?

Geez come on now, I'm doing enough "stuff" to get her flying again..... On some of this major rebuild, I'm trying to duplicate, as much as possible, in order to speed the rebuild. Forget, well....not totally, the "pretty" I'm liking the 192 HP.

Both Rhonda and Allen told me I could expect about a 5% increase by using 9:1's, which would yield 188 HP. When it came in at 192, it told me the extra work they do, possibly in extensive balancing, produced results. Go look at their website under "value added". In addition, this is only after 1.5 hours on their high end dyno. I hope I'm not letting out trade secrets but Rhonda told me, for example, they like to try and take the 3 gram standard in crank balancing to 1 gram in experimentals. In addition to a strong engine, I fully expect an extremely smooth running engine.....from all I have heard from other customers.

Let me know....

Let us know when you need some help hanging that puppy. I still owe you at least a day. Glad to see you making such good progress.

Bob Kelly

No Slicks?

This picture was taken before the Bendix Mags, no Slicks here, and harness were installed.

Hi Dana,

Congrats on jumping back into your project. I've a question: Why no Slicks?

From somebody who doesn't know any better - thanks.

TWO THINGS....

WOOHOO, sorry gotta gloat a little over some good news for Black Magic.
engine2nj7.jpg

Thanks Rhonda, Allen and all at Barrett for providing such a great engine, .:)

IF YOU ARE NOT going to use a VAC pump, you might want to remove the studs. It just gives you more room back there.

THE OTHER is if you change out the 90 at the oil pressure outlet for a 45 st. el. your oil pressure line will run down (not really down) the motor mount to the firewall and be out of your way.

Our Mattituck IO-360 with ECI Fuel Injection, ECI cold air induction and one P-Mag, 8.5:1 pistons also put out 192 on the dyno.

...but we do have the extra hassle of integrating the ECI stuff... not exactly easy or straightforward unfortunately :-(

regards,
bernie

Hi Dana,

Congrats on jumping back into your project. I've a question: Why no Slicks?

From somebody who doesn't know any better - thanks.

At about 41 hours I had my new non impulse Slick mag fail. When Allen offered the opportunity to put a pair of Bendix on.........I couldn't resist;)

Come on now gang, this is true HP, not a calculation off torque...and is out of an ol carby O-360, not some IO that I am seeing referenced..............geez, suddenly turned into a "mine is bigger than yours":rolleyes::)

Thursday, when I open that big ol box, I'm going to feel like a birthday kid getting a new bike after having his Christmas bike run over............oh, I did have my airplane run over:eek:

THE OTHER is if you change out the 90 at the oil pressure outlet for a 45 st. el. your oil pressure line will run down (not really down) the motor mount to the firewall and be out of your way.

I have the 45 degree fitting in my shop and will swap that out prior to install. Thanks for the reminder though.

<<and is out of an ol carby O-360, not some IO that I am seeing referenced>>

Yep, and pretty darn good for a carby. You're right up there with a lot of stock angle-valve IO-360's.

<<geez, suddenly turned into a "mine is bigger than yours">>

....but, but..(blush), mine is bigger than yours! (Barrett 390 <g>)

Last edited:
<<and is out of an ol carby O-360, not some IO that I am seeing referenced>>

Yep, and pretty darn good for a carby. You're right up there with a lot of stock angle-valve IO-360's.

<<geez, suddenly turned into a "mine is bigger than yours">>

....but, but..(blush), mine is bigger than yours! (Barrett 390 <g>)

OH, if I were a king for a day........I even had visions of a Super 7, then 390, then IO360.......then realized I was a lowly carby foot soldier....;)

Great that the recovery is progressing so well. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
....and yes, some of us can say without doubt "mine is bigger than your's". ;)

F-1 Rocket, Barrett IO-540 :)

WOOHOO, 360 Dyno'd @ 196 and I built it! and it's only 8.5-1

I'm not interested in the "mine is bigger than yours" discussion...I just want to learn. I built my ECI kit (8.5:1 pistons, carb, dual P-mags) with the help of an A&P I/A. We didn't do anything special to it at all. I wish I had access to a dyno...I'd love to see what I'm getting from mine.

Rivethead, did you do anything to yours to get the extra hp? I wouldn't think FI would give you more hp, just the ability to have more even fuel distribution.

A Note about Testing and HP Calculations

Just a quick note about test cells, dynos and HP calculations. Very few engine shops (I can only think of 2-3) have dynos like ours which is a water break dyno. The engine is run under load including a full power run leaned to BSFC, and all engine inputs/outputs are collected via computer at an established interval (with the exception of peak cylinder pressure.) This is also the type of dyno employed down the road in Ada at GAMI. BHP is then corrected to Sea Level using a proven scientific formula and a computer generated document of the data collection is provided with each engine. Our dyno has proven time and again to be very accurate in its hp production and is frequently used for manufacturers R&D and certification testing.

Most engine shops use a test cell with a club/dummy prop. To secure an accurate hp calculation, the engine should be tested in a state of equilibrium. Sometimes the test cell operator will take a torque reading while the engine is accelerating, which results in a false torque measurement. We often hear the term "ramping" which gives hp readings on the high side.

If you are thinking about having an engine run on a test cell somewhere, ask them what type of test cell they have. How long do they run the engine, do they provide written documentation of the engine's performance. The proof is in the pudding!