JakeLewis22

Well Known Member
My search on VAF didn't turn up anything on this so I'm assuming it will be news to all of you and if not it bears repeating.

I'd like to introduce you to Taylor De Ley. He is a 17 year old high school student that is about to fly solo around the country in his father's RV4. Click on the link below to see Taylor's Facebook page that he set up to tell his story and also allow people to track his progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Trip-Around-the-Country-Taylor-De-Ley/169718456419870?sk=notes

His father informed me today that Taylor's initial goal is to receive 1000 "Likes" on his Facebook page so please make sure to click on the "Like" button when you visit. I thought the VAF crowd could do that in no time at all.

He was also written up on the EAA's online newsletter
http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-06-02_deley.asp

I'm sure everyone at KAJO won't mind me saying that we're all very proud of him. I don't think you'll find a finer young man.

He has a place to stay here in NJ right outside of Philadelphia if he wants!! Just have him email me! Sounds like an awesome trip and a goal oriented pilot.

I've met both father and son and they're both super nice people. Gee, that -4 sure looks familiar ;)

Jake,

Ditto in Va Beach if he needs a place to stay between DC and KittyHawk. I don't do facebook, so pass my name along if he needs a place. You don't even need to mention that I have two daughters in college. (The one that doesn't model was homecoming queen :)).

Place to stay in NC

I live near Winston-Salem NC, and have hangar space next to my -4 if he needs a place to stay. I have plenty of room at my place and a 17 yr old son who helped me build ours. (8A7,Twin Lakes Airport in Advance NC) Im also an AP/IA if you have any mechanical needs while enroute. The flight will be great to follow, and we will definately watch on FB!

Bill E.
N76WE/RV-4
Advance NC

I wonder if he is going to land at the westernmost, northernmost, easternmost and southernmost airports in the lower 48.

Place to stay in S. Florida

If he gets to South Florida (KHWO) we can put him up at our house. Have him call (954) 829-2959.
Woodman

Put us on the RON list too.....mid-south Alabama, Montgomery area, 08A (Wetumpka) to be exact.

sponsors?

...not sure if they could put their name on the side, but this kid could sure use a break on Avgas, food etc.
Perhaps Phillips and SubWay or RedBull will give him a discount if asked? :)

man....... 230 hours by age 17....I'm not even halfway there ...(with an additional 30 years!)

Taylor, contact me through this site by e-mail and I will fill your standard RV4 wing tanks on my dime if you fly into O69 Petaluma CA.......... I do need a days notice so e-mail me.

Warren

If you plan on coming through Yakima Washington, I'd be glad to help! Place to sleep, food, gas etc. I'm 5 minutes from KYKM. (509) 728-0649

Last edited:
Taylor Was at Independence Airpark

Taylor over-nighted here (7S5, Independence, OR) and left for Friday Harbor, WA (KFHR) a few hours ago. Great-looking airplane, perfect flying weather, and you won't meet a finer young man.

TaylorDeLay.jpg

You've got a place to stay in Boston...

...just let me know if you make it up to BeanTown! I can arrange some hangar space at our Aero Club if that helps.

Dave Setser
KBED

Talking with Taylor this morning gave me the impression he isn't monitoring this forum so offering him a place to RON (or tank of gas) through this venue (instead of facebook) probably won't reach him.

On the other hand, I'm flying from Independence, OR to Albany, NY starting Friday and if anyone in the mid-West wants to offer me anything, I'd be happy to accept :) [Never having been east of Cody, WY in a small airplane, I'm apprehensive about parking outside overnight during thunderstorm season, not to mention flying with thunderstorms brewing and no WX display.]

--
Joe

NICE!. Im 17 :) i almost have my pilots license. just need t take the written, checkride, then high performance and get an Instrument rating

If our '8 were finished i would fly it to oshkosh....solo. But in formation with the bonanza. But we are almost done with the wings...soo we got another year before that happens.

Say Joe...

, .....I'm apprehensive about parking outside overnight during thunderstorm season, not to mention flying with thunderstorms brewing and no WX display.]

--
Joe

If I were you, I'd beg borrow or steal at least a Garmin 396 with Wx....you'll never regret it! I have two..one in my ag plane and also my -10. I'd lend you one but I use them both often.

Good luck,

Drat, and he flew right past the Arlington, WA fly-in and didn't stop in. There really should be a better way to let people to know about local events when they're on the road...

I'm flying from Independence, OR to Albany, NY starting Friday and if anyone in the mid-West wants to offer me anything, I'd be happy to accept :)

Joe,

If Minneapolis / St Paul is convenient for an overnight stop, we can help with hangar space.

If Minneapolis / St Paul is convenient for an overnight stop, we can help with hangar space.

Thanks, Gary -- that's very generous. Alas, I'll be far from Minneapolis/St Paul as I'm planning the southern route (basically the I-80 corridor)
across the mid-West, then northeast through Dayton (AF museum visit).

Hey, you're an APRS guy -- cool! I thought I recognized you from following tracks like http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=KD0KYU-1&last=1
(mail2600.com is my site and the server for that is a PC in my hangar!)

Pierre, that's good advice but hard to find a WX setup to borrow at OSH time :-(

--
Joe

Taylor's send off

photo.jpg

There was a good turn out at Corona Airport (KAJO) just before 8am on Saturday July 9th to see Taylor off on his journey.

Mark Moore was kind enough to give Taylor a "Spot" so we could keep an eye on him. If you want to track Taylor's Spot go to: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0LxZlAUqGqhtsTrPpk9aoG9n0iXG3IsUh

Also Taylor will be posting updates and pictures to his Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Trip-Around-the-Country-Taylor-De-Ley/169718456419870?sk=wall
While you're on his Facebook page don't forget to click on the "LIKE" tab

Last edited:
Half way there

Taylor made it past his midway point flying through Maine yesterday.

I was told that several of the RVers at AirVenture took Taylor under their wings and he ended up camping there the first night even though he had a place to stay in town. It's great how a shared interest brings out the best in people.

He even got to meet Sean Tucker and hold one of the ribbon poles during his airshow routine.

He's posted a lot of pics on his Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Trip-Around-the-Country-Taylor-De-Ley/169718456419870?sk=wall

On the home stretch now. Quick oil change, tweak a minor problem, give everything a look-see and button it back up. Staying with us tonight in Alabama. We introduced him to collard greens and fried green tomatoes. On to Texas in the AM. Says he has to start school on Monday....

e9bux3.jpg

It's been a huge thrill seeing my former plane on such an adventure. Takes some of the sting out of giving it up. :)

You did a nice job Steve.

Taylor out of here about 9:30 Central, Pecan Plantation this afternoon.

Missed this post!

I came into work a couple weeks ago and saw Taylor's RV-4 in our hangar in HPN and didn't realize who it was.

I was just admiring the cool paint job!

Looks like Taylor will make his first day back at school.

Good job - sounds like you had a great trip so far.

Is there a direct link to a website that shows the planned trip/stops? I scrolled around through F*ceB**K and could not find it.

Is there a direct link to a website that shows the planned trip/stops? I scrolled around through F*ceB**K and could not find it.

I don't believe that Taylor posted such a map but he has a "Spot" that leaves a trail behind him.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0LxZlAUqGqhtsTrPpk9aoG9n0iXG3IsUh

He's also been posting to his own Facebook page. Make sure to click on the "Like" button, his goal is to reach 1000.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Trip-Around-the-Country-Taylor-De-Ley/169718456419870?sk=wall

He finished. Posted from his facebook:

What a blast. I made it home yesterday at 3. What a way to end the trip in El Paso and then Monument Valley on the way home. I really have met some amazing people over the past six weeks.
Overall the trip was:
40 Days
12,074 Statute Miles
71.9 Hours Flight Time
79 Airports
36 States

Welcome Home

Welcome home Taylor.

This was in today's AOPA Aviation eBrief

Pilot Spotlight
Teen is home safely after flying perimeter of U.S.
Taylor De Ley, 17, landed at Corona Municipal Airport on Thursday after a six-week solo trip in an experimental plane around the perimeter of the U.S. The teen, who aspires to become a commercial pilot, encountered some rough weather along the way as well as challenges because of airspace rules. The Press-Enterprise (Riverside, Calif.)
http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/PE_News_Local_D_wfly19.3f0230f.html