Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Among the many things I love about the RV-8 is it’s flexibility. It is both fast and slow. It is aerobatic, yet a great cross-country machine. And it can be flown to both little fields and large airports.

“RV Eight Papa Delta, proceed direct Hobby, report the field in sight”.
“Eight Papa Delta, direct Hobby, Field in Sight.”
“RV Eight Papa Delta, Keep your speed up, I have turbojet aircraft inbound as well” [ed. No? Really? Gee, I’d never have guessed….I guess that’s why they have that big terminal with all those blue and orange 737’s hanging around….:rolleyes:]
“Eight Papa Delta can hold 150 knots to the fence.”
“RV Eight Papa Delta, Contact Hobby Tower now, one one eight point seven.”

“Hobby tower, RV One Eight Eight Papa Delta Experimental is with you direct to the Field”.
“Roger Experimental Eight Papa Delta, report a two mile right base for one two right, and keep your speed up”
“Eight Papa Delta is doing 150 knots, we’ll hold that to the fence, and we’d like one seven if that will work for you, we’re parking at the museum.”
“Roger RV Eight Papa Delta, cleared to land runway one seven, wind is calm.”

I was still doing about 150 as I crossed over the northwest field boundary, descending through 500 feet (which would be high on a normal glide slope at that distance to the threshold), aiming about a thousand feet short of the runway on a right base. Pre-landing complete, I pulled the throttle smoothly all the way off, and as the RPM sagged, I pushed the Prop all the way forward, along with the mixture. The deceleration was stunning as I pulled into a tight turn to final, bleeding off more airspeed, and finishing in a slip to bleed off even more. As I came out on final, the speed had dropped enough for flaps, so a flick of the stick-mounted switch had those on the way out as well. Still a little high, I overturned about 20 degrees, then kicked in opposite rudder to turn it into a slip, bleeding off energy until I was pointed at the numbers and on speed – loosing close to 85 knots in the course of a half a mile distance, 90 degrees of turn, and a few hundred feet of altitude. Who says the RV’s are too slippery in the pattern?

While I obviously prefer a stabilized final approach when flying the instrument pattern, on an approach, or when the weather is iffy, there is nothing to compare with the feeling of continuously varying every parameter to the point where you get a perfect touchdown, on speed, and ready to turn off at the first taxiway – right at your destination on the field. The organic computer on top of the neck can calculate a lot in a short time, but it’s also a matter of feeling…..being “One” with the airplane at its best. And while some might think it’s a rush to show off, to me it feels just as good as it did this morning when I arrived early, to an empty ramp, with the Tower guys already occupied with a mass “push” of departing Southwest jets, paying little to no attention as I roll it on under their noses. When it feels right, that’s all the gratification I really need – me and the Val, totally in tune…..

Paul

Last edited:
You ever write any books Paul? You should. Your prose is right on and very readable.

Dennis Mitchell
6a
Fort Collins, CO

ahh Grasshopper!

I see you have found the innermost secrets of the ValZen flying machine..:)

Seriously I have never actually tried this and have been avoiding my local class C big iron madhouse in IMC because I was concerned the controllers would assume the RV can be flown down the ILS glide slope along with the 767's...And I would go screaming down the entire length of the runway wishing for a drogue chute!...Wake turbuleance not withstanding.

I must try the prop forward airbrake to see what happens.

Frank

I did something like that at Santa Ana (KSNA) several years ago but was on a straight in doing 160 KIAS. I told the tower that I was landing long and flew half way down the runway so that I could turn off at and not need to taxi far to get to Sunrise Aviation. I did not have the luxury of a turn to bleed off speed and had to rely on the constant speed prop.

Many times on the way to Catalina Island, I would over fly KSNA doing 160 Knots with airliners below me heading in and out of SNA and above me heading to LAX. Speed helped ATC with separation as many of the airliners were doing 170 on their approach. In other words, the RV was flying similar speed to the majority of the traffic they were handling.

Wish I could put my experiences into words the way Paul can. If you have any secrets on how to develop a great writing style like you have, please share.

If I tried that in my FP bird, I think I'd hit the fence at the other end of the airport doing about 140 knots. ;-)

Ah, us FP types just need to ask for OH approach. You can bleed a ton of speed in the break letting the G buildup absorb the AS. I can do that in the -4 from near cruise speed and manage to slow to flap deployment before I complete the 180 to downwind.........

Among the many things I love about the RV-8 is it?s flexibility. It is both fast and slow. It is aerobatic, yet a great cross-country machine. And it can be flown to both little fields and large airports.

I know the controllers at Hooks airport like the capabilities of the RV... awhile back I flew a similar arrival; squeezed in between a couple of spam cans, keep the speed up, tight base leg, bleed the speed and make the first turn off. As I was rolling out the controller said something like "gotta love those RV's..."

You ever write any books Paul? You should. Your prose is right on and very readable.

Not yet....and Thank You!

Wish I could put my experiences into words the way Paul can. If you have any secrets on how to develop a great writing style like you have, please share.

Read, read, read - everything you can get your hands on, on any topic, fiction and non-fiction, and remember what you enjoy.....:D

Paul

Paul
Have you considered sending some of your work to Flying magazine? Those folks could really use some help. If it wasn't for their great photography and Peter Garrison I would have cancelled my subscription years ago.

OK, Lane Wallace's column is pretty good, sometimes brilliant.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Last edited:
Paul
Have you considered sending some of your work to Flying magazine? Those folks could really use some help. If it wasn't for their great photography and Peter Garrison I would have cancelled my subscription years ago.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB
I canceled my subscription 2 or 3 years ago. I did enjoy Garrison, the photography, and 'I Learned About Flying From That'. But finally it was the arrogance of Richard Collins that pushed me over the edge. I don't miss it at all.

How about 65 knots?

The day before Paul's story, I had pretty much the opposite experience.

I have a fixed pitch RV, and yes, there is no doubt that the CS folks have way more slowing down options. Compared to what I experienced on Saturday though, a fixed pitch RV is fantabulous for getting down fast.

I decided to take my flight review in the local FBO's newly acquired DA-20C1 just to experience a new aircraft after spending so long in the RV. This airplane is derived from a motor-glider and has an aspect ratio and glide ratio way above the normal Cessna, not to mention an RV.

I liked the airplane, despite control pressures that seemed excessive. It had many nice things like a really good cruise speed for the power and excellent visibility, probably similar to the RV-12 down in front of the wing. There are also some rather odd things, like the need to run the fuel pump pretty much all the time except in level flight cruise and the temperature limitation for operation. You don't go if the spar is too hot!

The landings were the really fun thing. It was necessary to go to idle power and full flaps really early in the pattern to get the thing down in the absence of a bomber pattern and I really don't like those bomber patterns. If you can get low enough, the landing itself is really really easy.

For the final landing I wanted to try one with no flaps, so I was at the place Paul was, but I was at about 65 knots, versus the full flap approach speed of 52 knots. I floated and floated and floated and touched down near mid-field on a long runway and rolled to the end-of-runway turnoff.

RV-8 versus DA-20, well the RV is way more flexible and shoot, it is more fun too!

Hi RPM, Low MP

Hi folks,

Following is an extract from the Lycoming IO 540 operators manual:

"These engines are equipped with a dynamic counterweight system and must be operated accordingly; avoid high engine speed, low manifold pressure operation. Use a smooth steady movement of the throttle (avoid rapid opening and closing). If this warning is not heeded, there could be severe damage to the counterweights, roller and bushings."

So, if we use full fine pitch (high RPM) with the throttle all the way off to slow down, aren't we inducing the condition we are warned against?

I am a philistine when it comes to engine technology, and I'm on a serious learning exercise on the proper management of my engine. But I would have one **** of a time slowing down my -10 without the throttle seriously retarded while maintaining cruise rpm.

A lot has been said about climb and cruise RPM/MP settings. But what are acceptable RPM/MP settings for low speed/deceleration ops and how long can these be sustained before the damage preempted in the Operators Manual is realised??

cheers,
Ron
RV-10
VH-XRM, flying in Oz

I canceled my subscription 2 or 3 years ago. I did enjoy Garrison, the photography, and 'I Learned About Flying From That'. But finally it was the arrogance of Richard Collins that pushed me over the edge. I don't miss it at all.

I like Richard Collins. He's a true believer in GPS and the glass panel; and has promoted them both for years.

I've been running aviation moving map GPSs since the early 90's, and can only wish for a good glass panel...

L.Adamson --- RV6A (six pac & 696) & still subscribe to Flying

Smooth.....

A lot has been said about climb and cruise RPM/MP settings. But what are acceptable RPM/MP settings for low speed/deceleration ops and how long can these be sustained before the damage preempted in the Operators Manual is realised??

Hi Ron,

I don't regularly fly a -540, so I could well be corrected by someone who does, but I think the key to any counterweighted engine operation (and in my mind, ANY engine operation...) is the word "smooth". I never yank anything - smooth retardation of power is nice - for the engine, the prop, and the flight path. I don't think it is a matter of particular MAP's or RPM's (except, of course, the placarded RPM ranges you need to avoid with some installations) so much as how you transition the machine from one setting to another.

Keep it smoooooooth.....:cool:

Paul