PaulT

I often read really positive things about Craig Catto and his wonderful Propellers. Many of you guys/gals have one, and love 'em, and I to, now have my heart set on one.

I also hear only good things about Bryan Milani and his line of Showplanes products. So much so that, a while back I went ahead and ordered his cowl for my s l o w build RV-8 project, along with the fastback kit.

Problem is, it doesn't seem to be that easy matching the two.
Neither of these wonderful gents seem able to help, and I'd be amazed if I'm the only one planning on this combination.

So, I appeal to the masses, (or even just the few) Does anyone know where I might find a 15" spinner (or 14 and a bit inches) that will do the job? Basically a larger version of the vans supplied, 13" wood prop spinner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.

piece o cake

The Rockets use a 15" spinner. I might be able to get one for you...

Carry on!
Mark

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. I haven't tried them yet. I would hope to find something close before going Cu$tom made.

F1Boss/Mark. This sounds encouraging. Do you know though, if any Rocket guys are using FP props like the Catto.
Or what might be involved in adapting a CS spinner to suit.

Perhaps someone knows who makes the FP spinners for Vans. (I haven't asked them yet). They may do a larger one?

Anyone out there using the Showplanes cowl and a FP prop? They look real nice. I'd hate to not use it now I have it.

Again, I am grateful for any help.

Paul.

Maybe!

The C/S spinner uses a built in fwd bulkhead that slides over the prop dome...and I have yet to see a F/P prop with a dome! A fwd bulkhead is required, so some other setup will be needed to support the fwd area (keep the dome running true). Maybe you could affix a tube that would mimic the dome and use the spinner as is?

Carry on!
Mark

Not sounding like a piece o cake.
I guess if I had the bits in front of me, It might look do-able.

I really thought there would be an "of the shelf" option. Otherwise I may not have been so eager to jump in on the cowl, but I did.

Doesn't seem like anyone else fell for the trap?

There is no mention on the Showplanes website saying "Oh by the way, your s#####d if you want a fixed pitch prop".

I guess I'll build on and hope something comes up. :(

Paul.

15" spinner

Paul
We hung a Catto prop & 13" spinner on a Harmon Rocket that originally had a 15" spinner on it by installing a Saber spacer moving the prop ahead and grafting a tapered fiberglass extension to the cowling. Not as ugly as we thought it would look.
This was a test installation & have since gone back to a C/S configuration.

Paul,
When you find a spinner that works with that cowl and prop, please post details.

Agreed. When and if you source the bits needed to make this work please do post it here as I will be building a Showplanes FB 8 and am considering a Catto prop.

Spinners

PaulT
I bought an aluminum spinner from these people, http://www.cumminsspinners.com/ and have mounted it to my Hartzel prop for my -10. Seemed like a very nicely made piece. It's currently away getting chromed. Your mileage may vary though as I'm not flying yet.
Rick

spinners

PaulT, I must add that mine is the standard 13" size, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if they make larger spinners. Search You Tube for their video.
Rick

15" Spinner

Hi
Currently I do not have a 15" spinner and at this stage, I do not plan to make one. I don't believe the demand, would cover the R & D and/or the cost of a CNC plug required.
I will have a 13" spinner with cut outs to suit the Catto propeller soon
cheers from downunder

Last edited:
I too have an 8 under construction with the Showplanes fast back conversion and cowl. I have a Superior XP 400 rated at 215 hp and seriously considering a Catto 3 bladed prop. I'm thinking that the engine should have enough torque that climb performance won't be terrible with a cruise prop and top speed shouldn't be much less than a CS prop. In my mind, advantages of the Catto include cost (both initial and long term maintenance), weight (to offset the XP 400 that weighs 5 pounds more than an angle valve 360), smoothness, simplicity of operation, faster throttle response due to less rotational inertia, and look of a custom color matched three bladed prop. The stumbling block for me has been the spinner as others have mentioned on this post. Following a couple of conversations with Catto, Brian at Showplanes, Aircraft Spruce, and Vans, I've found what seems to be the best option (though not perfect).

UHS spinners from Ontario sells a 14 inch spinner constructed of carbon fiber reinforced fiberglass. I used one of their smaller spinners on a Rotax 914 and worked fine. My Showplanes Cowl measures 14.5 inches across the front ring so the result would be a 1/4 inch "reveal" around the circumference when viewed from the front. This would be less pronounced given a 1/4 to 3/8 space between the spinner skirt and cowl face. A 15 inch spinner would result in a 1/4 inch "overhang" of the spinner relative to the cowl so a 15 inch spinner isn't the best answer either. I also checked with the custom spinner manufacturer mentioned previously in this thread and was told they would not invest in the tooling to create a 15 inch spinner for FP applications.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated...