Hello. The wing spar assembly plans state to drill and tap the AEX Tie Down on both ends. Why do we have to tap to top end? Thanks.
Regards,
Damien

I believe it was to facilitate hoisting the plane up if that was going to be a useful feature for some builders. There's a #30 hole in the top wing skin just above the tie-down point, but as far as I know, nearly all builders have just put a rivet in it. I tapped both ends of the AEX block, but in hindsight the top one wasn't necessary.

Last edited:
I?ve heard this question asked before. There were several jokes such as gun mount, external drop tanks, etc.
For the record, I plugged the hole in the skin with a rivet and did not tap both ends.

No harm...

I figured the top hole and mount might be useful later, so I tapped it per instructions and put a rivet in the upper skin above. It?s another minuscule weight savings and the threads are there if needed for a camera (or gun mount). One mistake I made was to use the first tap I found in my garage. Right size, wrong thread pitch. Lesson: read the directions, read them again, measure twice, cut once!

So, if one did use the top tie-down for lifting, does anyone know what the sanctioned method is for covering the hole?

Mine has a rivet in the top skin to fill that unused hole.

Also there was mentioned using the top access for a holding device to hang the plane. I recall a prior thread from a group in Switzerland where an RV12 hung from a hangar ceiling with many other aircraft also hanging and many below. The post wrote about the limited space issues in their area.

One day when I have to give up flying, I'll donate my 12 to the Smithsonian. All they have to do is drill out 2 rivets and hang it up. Vans think of everything. ;)