Ron B.

Well Known Member
On the ailerons for an RV-14 wing, Van's asks to dimple a part of the ribs 120 degrees. I'm pretty sure they are putting pop rivets (structural) of some sort (quitting time , did not look ahead yet) in these dimpled holes.
Other than ordering a set of 120 degree dies for a few holes anyone have another solution for forming these 120 degree holes? I'm seeing that the dimpling tool that uses finish nails and a pop rivet gun to set is also good for 120 degree Avex rivets. Wander why this type of dimpler is good for both 100 and 120 degree rivets?
Thanks Ron

Last edited:
This is a very minor expense in the grand scheme of things, and in my experience, worth it. Invest in a set of 120 degree dimple dies for -4 rivets, and a 120 degree countersink with a #30 pilot, and use where appropriate. It really does make a difference in how the pop rivet sits on the skin or part being riveted, and all told it comes to < $100 in tools.

As we're fond of saying at my office...there's right, and then there's not right...might as well do it right.

I like these questions and answers. I agree it is the waiting for the parts. Since Ron is so far ahead of me, I just add whatever part he needs to my list:)