donahuedc

I understand that experimentals can paint 6 inch numbers. I intend to fly out of the country, and therefore need 12 inch numbers to return. How do people handle this? I don't want to paint 12 inch numbers if I don't have to, I think the 6 inch ones look better. I've heard that there are temporary stick on ones. Has anyone used these? Do they come off without removing or maring the paint? I would also be willing to paint the big ones on the bottom of the wings ( like a J3 cub ) if this is legal, but I don't see any homebuilts this way.

We just completed a flight of 5 to Cozumel.
2 planes with electrical tape, 3 planes left their tiny numbers.
See here

We have also in the past used shoe polish. Anything will work. Or our experience is that as long as you dont get intercepted, little numbers will work too.
Enjoy

Kahuna said:
We just completed a flight of 5 to Cozumel.
2 planes with electrical tape, 3 planes left their tiny numbers.
See here

We have also in the past used shoe polish. Anything will work. Or our experience is that as long as you dont get intercepted, little numbers will work too.
Enjoy

Kahuna,
I was wondering who was tagging along with Subob. Nice photos. Technically, shouldn't a Super Eight have 12 inch because of speed? (g)

Bob's bro,
John

12" N numbers size

Going to the Bahamas, I purchased 12" N numbers from Sporty's Pilot Shop for $35 a set. LEGAL, not too pricy, and they were removable. A small amount of heat from a heat gun or hair dryer and they pull right off easier than they went on. Only down side, there is a very small amout of glue residue around the outline of the letters (< 1/32") that comes off with IPA. You do not need 12" numbers unless you are going through an ADIZ. From the lower 48 to Canada, your 3" are fine.

donahuedc said:
I understand that experimentals can paint 6 inch numbers. I intend to fly out of the country, and therefore need 12 inch numbers to return. How do people handle this? I don't want to paint 12 inch numbers if I don't have to, I think the 6 inch ones look better. I've heard that there are temporary stick on ones. Has anyone used these? Do they come off without removing or maring the paint? I would also be willing to paint the big ones on the bottom of the wings ( like a J3 cub ) if this is legal, but I don't see any homebuilts this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
RV6_flyer said:
...residue around the outline of the letters (< 1/32") that comes off with IPA.
I assume you mean isopropyl alcohol and not wasting my glass of fine India Pale Ale? ;)

N numbers

Read somewhere that if leaving the country, that you must now have 12 inch 'N' numbers on side of aircraft to re-enter USA. Is this true?
Mike H 9A/8A

12" numbers are required within the ADIZ either leaving or returning to the US. They may be temporary numbers.

source for temporary numbers?

What's the best way to do temporary numbers?

Duct tape seems a bit tacky (pun intended), but vinyl numbers as from Aircraft Spruce and the like aren't really temporary...

Never use duct tape if you want to remove it. Get some gaffer tape. It is designed to be residue free when removed.

Incidentally, I would ask a vinyl guy about his product. They can't be much different from the stuff car dealers use to spam the back of you new purchase. And those logos seem to come off very easily with a hair dryer or heat gun. Just an idea.

Last edited:
N-NUMBERS - TEMPORARY

I qualify as a vinyl guy......( 23 years) ask your local sign shop for one of these products.
3 mil intermediate vinyl, any colour, can be peeled pretty easily when warm and less than 3 months old.
If you have poor paint adhesion, or a very expensive, hard to repair paint job, ask for something like 3M conformable vehicle wrap vinyl. It has a thick grey adhesive with air release channels, is easy to apply and is meant for ease of removal within a year.
Available only in white, as it is a media meant to receive digital printing, so that may incur additional cost if you need other colours printed on it.
Other vinyls listed as 'removable', 'promo' or temporary may also be used.
Always be sure they are warm when removing, a nice hot day with the plane in the sun is best, or heat locally with a hair dryer on high. ..a heat gun is faster, but more dangerous to the paint. Peel the vinyl at 180 degrees from the surface, to reduce 'pull-up' on the paint.

Contact Paper from Wal-Mart

This is what I use for my 18" race numbers. The material is very thin (low profile), it does not come off during races at top speed but I take them off at the end of the season by catching the edge with a fingernail then peeling it off 180 degrees back on itself. A 90 degree pull form the surface with a specific type of tape is a standard test method for paint adhesion and should not be used for regular removal. The only solid color contact paper at my local Wal-Mart is white but it accepts color readily from a sharpie pen before application. Buy a roll and cut you numbers out in the appropriate style.

Bob Axsom